Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-25-2005, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Cultural Practices Forum

I'm posting this thread to see if anyone else would be interested in a Cultural Practices Forum. The Organic forum seems littered with debates over defining organic, mixed programs, legalization of particular products, etc. All of these arguments are important and needed in the green industry, but not as important for those of us who want to focus 100% on cultural practices. This is not a thread for debating or defining organics.

I just want to pool resources with other people who offer their customers a program that does not rely on pre-packaged quick-fix products, regardless of how the epa or industry view these products. This is not about meeting the demands of customers accustomed to regular applications of chem. ferts and hosing down insects with insecticides, organic or otherwise. This is about meeting the needs of customers who DO NOT want these products and want us to build their soil for long-term health. These customers exist. Let's go get them.

Low overhead doesn't make me a scrub!
Old 05-25-2005, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thumbs up "I'm In"

Think that would be a great idea.................When DO We Start?- regards Saxon
Old 05-29-2005, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Here Here!!

Count me in! The other valuable note here is that just like any other facet of the industry, the bylaws and regulations governing the organics sector vary drastically from province to province and state to state. Let alone country to country.

I would love to be able to come on to lawnsite and be able to actually learn more about specific cultural and enviro-friendly methods and share my knowledge as well.

I think this is a great idea for a new forum or sub-forum.

-Reuben
Old 05-29-2005, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Member

let's make it happen

I'm in for sure
Old 06-11-2005, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Thumbs up

I really like the idea. To me cultural practices as very important. Regardless of the fertilization and irrigation practices, cultural practices can negate any positive result of these practices. Count me in.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Count Sheshovel in on this one too.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Member

topdress vs fert.

Good to see some momentum gaining in the world of long-term soil health! Here's a question to get things rolling:

I find it difficult to sell aeration or topdressing, compared to selling an appilication of fert. or soil amendment. Most times, the customer's lawn needs aeration and topdressing more than anything else, but many customers are convinced that fertilizer is what the lawn needs. Do you have similar troubles selling these services, even when that is what the lawn needs most? How can we overcome years of chem. fert. campaigns to re-educate our customers? The extension offices here are helping a little, but people change slowly. any ideas?

Old 06-13-2005, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thumbs up "Supplemental Soil Protection"

Howdy, sooooooooo whats the problem?.......applyin compost should be "Easy", in the summer its "Disease Prevention", when seeding its "Top Dressing", Fall its a "Winterizer", Spring its "Lawn Magic" developed by our "Reserch & Development Dept" as a lawn starter [ slow feeding for increased root development]............Listen, just cause it doesnt come in a fancy bag doesnt mean it has no place in anybodies program?....Personally I like the late fall- winter application, should it not be fully ready [ composted] it has all winter to continue to break down, and it cuts down on weed development that may happen from a spring application.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I know aeration is a good money makes, but the company I work for doesn't even offer it. If you put down organic fert and the soil is healthy and full of microbes, the thatch should be eaten by the microbes and everything should be fine.

nocutting is right, you have to find ways to sell if differently...
Old 06-13-2005, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyLawn
I know aeration is a good money makes, but the company I work for doesn't even offer it. If you put down organic fert and the soil is healthy and full of microbes, the thatch should be eaten by the microbes and everything should be fine.

nocutting is right, you have to find ways to sell if differently...

I'm not talking about doing it as a money maker. I'm talking about doing it because it needs to be done. If the soil is not healthy and not full of microbes, it could take years for an organic fertilizer to get the soil back to where it should be. Doing it that way would cost more for the customer too, in the long run. But my original question maybe wasn't clear. I understand you gotta sell these things creatively. Are your companies educating your customers at all about what it is you do, or just applying "magic" to the lawn?