Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-26-2000, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i have a 21inch lawn boy silver series that is about 6-7 years old. i i have never been to satisfied with the cut. always clumps and only throws the clipping maybe 15 inches. i just sharpened the blades on it and for the hell of it when i put back the blade i didnt put back the mulching blade that goes under the reg blade. i just used it... i was blown away! it now throws the clippings about 3 feet and cuts nicly. why was the mulching blade causin such bad results? if only i discoverd this six years ago! this mower is only used as a mower for very steep hills so i never really cared to much bu now that it cuts great im happy with it. just thought id let you lawnboy owners know! and comments welcome!
Old 03-28-2000, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

anyone ever had any experience like this?
Old 03-28-2000, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That is typical for Lawnboy, Evan. They were designed to suck up the grass and bag or side discharge. The mulcher came along just to say it could mulch also. As you well know, it is one of the worst mulching mowers, if you're looking for good appearance.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana
Old 03-28-2000, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

yup! mulches horrible...last time i used it to mulch was the first day i bought it. when trying to mulch with it it stalls if your cutting more than a inch of grass. it is one of the best baggers though. i just dont understand how having that mulching fan under there would afect the quality of discharge....id think it make it better.