Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-22-2006, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgropher
Steve you are missing the point in this case, we do not know if it was stolen, people need money fast and some times they sell things cheap, we cant dial 911 every time some one offers to sell you some thing cheap, the police takes ages to get there any way and the guy will be gone by the time they come and if it turns violent he may bopp you on the nose and grab it back.

.........And lets forget this stuff about getting into trouble buying some thing cheap, as soon as you get it ring your local police station and cover yourself, tell them you have been approached by some one and you brought some equip that was well below market value and give them the serial no to check, if theres a problem you have all the sellers details and the item.

I beleive if you do things this way there will be no problems, the problems arise when you take it home and start useing it and the owner sees you and calls the cops or whatever.

Steve your way may work if you know some thing stolen but what if theres question marks ?? you would be wasteing police time, the sellers and your own, looking in todays paper theres stuff cheap quick ring 911.

I beleive you were offered a cheap shindy 270 Steve, brand new still in the box ?? less than half the price you would pay around here, did you dial 911 ??
no you started a thread on LS asking if its a good deal.....its a steal at that price i hope its going well for you
911 is for emergencies. You just call detectives and give them the serial numbers. That is the least you can do. 60$ is not only a good price - its a steal.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

i can't believe no one hasn't examined the whole part of this thread. maybe, just maybe this sell is completely legit. o.k. heres the scenerio. crack head bob has a grandmother sitting on a pile of cash. she decides to shell out 500 bucks for her grandson to have a new blower.. he takes it and sells it for 60 bucks. he just made 60 dollars profit.. free crack for him yeah....... it does indeed happen. my nephew just got a tool set for his birthday from my mom. as soon as he got it, he went to the pawn shop and pawned it and went and bought some pills. hows it go, "don't judge lest ye be judged"
Old 08-23-2006, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Wrong Sandgropher

Quote:
I beleive you were offered a cheap shindy 270 Steve, brand new still in the box ?? less than half the price you would pay around here, did you dial 911 ??
no you started a thread on LS asking if its a good deal.....its a steal at that price i hope its going well for you
Wrong, on this and everything else you have said. The purchase was from a dealer, hardly a problem.

You can argue all you want, people argue with me every day across a glass window. Then they go back to their jail cell and I go to my office.

Have a nice day.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Sandgropher misrepresenting

Now you are telling fibs.

Just found my old post.
Quote:
Found a new one for $ 379.00 Is this a good deal? It is new but still in the box
You said;
Quote:
That is not under half price or even close. My dealer just told me that is about $50.00 off his normal retail. What someone pays where you live has nothing to do with where I live. The price is in line and not a steal or even a great deal.

Now I know why you advocated buying the stolen blower. Buying a blower you believe to be stolen is immature, wrong and illegal.

Why would you put out false information on what I said?

You could have quoted me but you didn't.

Goodbye.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just had a stupid idea. Buy it, use it till you make 60 bucks with it, then turn it in to the cops lol.

6.5'x10.5' dual axle trailer-FULL of equip.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I haven't read every reply in this thread, but there seems to be one element missing from those I did read, namely that if you purchase something that turns out to be stolen, in all likelihood, you are going to be out the money you paid for it. The rightful owner is under no obligation to reimburse you (why should he?), and good luck getting it from the thief, even if they happen to prove he stole it.

I know this from personal experience. Many years ago I bought a rifle from a kid who said his grandfather left it to him. I knew the kid, and had no reason to doubt him. I knew it was a good deal for $150, but truly didn't realize the true value of around $1000 (the gun had been customized).

Anyhow, long story short, I lived in a small town, and eventually heard of this gun being stolen from a fellow I also knew. I contacted the sheriff's office, and they picked up the rifle. I eventually had to go to court and testify against the kid (18 yo). He got a slap on the hand, and chose to enter the military rather than face jail time.

I asked the prosecuting attorney about getting my money back from the kid. All they would have had to do is rule that part of the deal, but the judge didn't do it. So, in the end, the rightful owner got his rifle back. The kid never spent a day in jail, or paid a fine, and I was out $150.

I suspect the judge figured I knew it was stolen, and bought it anyway. Which, in my case, was not true, but I learned a valuable lesson, for sure. When in doubt: DON'T!