Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-20-2006, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo
and if wondering what deck cracked from this was a exmark zhp 44 inch cut with 400 hours on it.
Could it have been a defect maybe? Or are you certain that your reletivly new mower had a cracked deck because of something probably 1/2 the people that own one never do?
Old 08-20-2006, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Crack a deck because of an unbalanced blade? I don't think so (unless you only sharpened one side of the blade and it was that far out of whack).
Old 08-21-2006, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't believe for a minute that not balancing blades would cause a deck to crack. Do you really think that blades stay balanced while in use? Depending on the lawn they could be out of balance within minutes of use. Now if you ran the machine with it shaking violently, then maybe so but more than likely it was metal fatigue.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Old 08-21-2006, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Over 15 yrs not a once have I balanced a blade, I have a toro 52" wb that was one of my original mowers, still use it here at the house. The spindles pulleys have a groove worn in them from the deck belt, but never replaced a spindle in all that time. Greasable spindles. Ran toro for 15 yrs. Switched to Exmark 60" mowers this year, so we will see how these ungreasable spindles hold up.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCS
If you mow wet grass for 5 minutes, you will have grass sticking to them. I'm not talking long clippings but the stuff that gets caked on from the center hole to where the cutting edge starts. Unless you scrape all that stuff off, you will not have a accurately balanced blade. I haven't balanced a blade for a few years, no problems to date, and no vibrations.
It should stand to reason that you need to clean the blades a little before you sharpen them in this case. However; the caked on stuff should also be somewhat evenly distributed on the blade since it is spinning at a very high speed.
I don't think I would want to trust the plastic cone balancers too much. They are made of pretty cheap plastic. They do make metal ones that seem to be a little smoother operating and likely more accurate.
Any time you spin that piece of metal the size of commercial mower blades, with that kind of weight, I can't see how anyone would think that it wouldn't hurt the bearings that support it. Maybe not over night, but they will wear out much sooner than they normally would. The vibration that they would cause would be somewhat isolated by the chains, or other linkage that support the deck. You wouldn't likely feel that much of it, even if was fairly bad. You may not notice it at all with all of the other vibrations that the machine is making.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I balance my blades before they go back on the mower. It only takes about 30 seconds of my time and it cant hurt. Walker 48" and 52"
"The ones who really love you, walk up and down, outside the wall."
PINK FLOYD
If quizzes are quizzical, what does that make tests?
Old 08-21-2006, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I take a wire brush to my blades, then I sharpen them, then I balance them. My X father in law taught me that. Been doing it that way ever since.

6 Years on Lawnsite
Old 08-21-2006, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=TLS]Hmmm....I do, and can definately tell if I don't.[/QUOHope you see this .I cant seem to private message you.I would like to know if you still have the bagger for sale ?? You can email me at henderson@urec.net
Old 08-21-2006, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Once again it has been proven that LCO's can run their businesses differently from one another and still find success. Balancing or not balancing...seems like something you'll never get everyone to agree on, just like Chevy vs. Ford. It's another question that finds an answer that's neither right nor wrong, just a personal preference.

IMO balancing a blade probably a good thing for a very short period of time, but I don't do it for various reasons. I used to balance each blade but quit doing last year because of the very reason someone else mentioned...have you ever taken off a dull blade and checked to see how out of balance it is?? Don't scrape it down, don't do anything to it, just throw it on whatever you use for a balancer and 99% of the time that blade will not be in balance. At what point did it become unbalanced? How long has that blade been used while being out of balance? You don't know for sure, it could have hit something right away and been out of whack the whole time.

But again, we all run our businesses differently and whatever you feel works best in your situation...do it. Now does anyone know how to manufacture rain???

Buck
Old 08-21-2006, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Member

balancig blades

One thing that putting a blade on a balancer will do is tell you if it's bent or not/ the blades you buy are seldom balanced perfectly. But it can't hurt to balance a blade, better safe than sorry