Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-20-2006, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

anyone in baltimore area cutting anything?

I just took a trip from Eldersburg Md to Winber Pa to help my son buy a 2001 SS camaro [4,800 original miles]and all we saw on that 155 mile trip up was brown grass until we crossed over the mountains . Lush green on the other side . I probably wouldn't have had time to make the trip if I was still cutting so now that he has his dream car it can go ahead and RAIN !!!!! I only have 2 crabgrass lawns still growing and the rest are dormant. Liberty resivoir is going down fast as we have been fishing in the evenings with no lawns to cut. What is every one else doing!!!
Old 08-20-2006, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here in State College, Pa. the lawns are totally dormant. This week, I cut (9), and the week before that (4). I have numerous lawns that will be 3+ weeks this month.

Personally, in my 6 years in this business, I have never witnessed conditions turning this fast. We cut everything every week until the first week of August. Then 100+ temperatures for a week, and no rain for 2-3 weeks == drought stress of the worst kind......
Old 08-20-2006, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm in AA county and barely anything is growing. It's worse than last year and I thought that was the worst I had seen. Very few lawns are growing. Each time I go out I'm just cutting the weeds that have grown.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Got bad here for a week or two and now we are right back in the game with a lot of rain yesterday... was great until august .. and now its up and down.. But i sure hope you guys who have not mowed in weeks get some rain... I think we all know what its like to be wondering if we will make money or not...
Old 08-20-2006, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought 2003 was bad when the resivoir went down 35ft. . Where are the huricanes when you need them. Even with being diversified and power washing too we have caught up on all work . Usually calls pick up after vacation season ends in a week or two.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just started skipping a few this past week. This upcoming week, with no rain in sight, will be a disaster. Thankfully, my business doesn't need lawncare to stay afloat. Those that strickly do lawncare I feel for.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrtenterprises
Here in State College, Pa. the lawns are totally dormant. This week, I cut (9), and the week before that (4). I have numerous lawns that will be 3+ weeks this month.

Personally, in my 6 years in this business, I have never witnessed conditions turning this fast. We cut everything every week until the first week of August. Then 100+ temperatures for a week, and no rain for 2-3 weeks == drought stress of the worst kind......

What he ^^^ said! I have missed a few but have managed to cut most...barely! Even the irrigated ones are crunchy. Had some rain last night, hope it pops it up some. I have some havent been cut for.....this week will the 3rd week.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

going on vacation next sat. so look out . thats when the hurricane will come. I'll just sit in the bar with my wife and watch it rain. I'm not sure if people don't water because they don't want to pay me for a few cuts or that they have turned their lawn care over to me and don't even think of doing ANYTHING outside any more. Its not the price of water in balto county Md. thats for sure. Some of the cheapest water bills in the country!
Old 08-21-2006, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I skipped alot last week and the ones i cut i know will not be growing this week. I am just gonna take the next few days off and get my kids school shopping done. We got a little rain last night, but no where near enough. I also have lawns in laurel, Md. They seem to have been hit the worst, i have not cut them in a month.

Hey Aaron, I think I've seen you around before, do you do work in severn? Up by goldenpine circle?

It's the only job i know,
Where i can walk in circles and talk to myself
And no one thinks i'm crazy.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Still mowing most lawns here in Connecticut. Last week I skipped a few for the first time. Crabgrass!! It is everywhere. I don't know why it seems so bad this year. But, it is keeping us mowing a lot of the lawns!