Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-18-2006, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Best Leaf Removal Setup

What's the best Leaf Removal setup without a trailer? Cabover or pickup truck? What is the best leaf box for the truck? Leaf cleanup is almost here, help me decide what to buy for leaf removal! Post pictures, ideas, anything that will help! No Trailers Please!
Old 08-18-2006, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

no trailer.? go with a solid box, dump insert, 10hp loader or better.
we use boxed in 16 ft. dump trailers with a 16 hp. loader. Good Luck.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I got my 250 with a dump insert we put 9 foot sides on it. I got a leaf sucker and two walkers the back pack blowers and soon a little wonder and we can do some serious leaves with that set up but soon im getting a 350 dump so it will be even better.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrguy
What's the best Leaf Removal setup without a trailer? Cabover or pickup truck? What is the best leaf box for the truck? Leaf cleanup is almost here, help me decide what to buy for leaf removal! Post pictures, ideas, anything that will help! No Trailers Please!
I put two 3/4 6X5 plywood in my tacoma's bed .I press the leaf in the bed, I can carry over 1500 lbs leaf with it. I use back pack blower, rake and tarp
this set up was my last year set up and this fall going to be same but next year I would like to buy dump truck for my fall & spring clean up and mulch jobs.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Mulch as many leaves as you can

I do not bag my clippings. I have a Zero turn mower. I find that if you run over the leaves backwards it shred's them up. So as i mow I throw the clippings and the leaves to the middle and then run it over in reverse. If there is a big mess I just blow them into the grass.

I just bought a John Deere with mulch on demand 757. I am exited about trying it out on the leaves.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by par69
I do not bag my clippings. I have a Zero turn mower. I find that if you run over the leaves backwards it shred's them up. So as i mow I throw the clippings and the leaves to the middle and then run it over in reverse. If there is a big mess I just blow them into the grass.

I just bought a John Deere with mulch on demand 757. I am exited about trying it out on the leaves.
I thought us southern guys were the only ones who knew this little secret.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

As stated the best removal system is to not remove them if you can. Oaks have to go, too much acid for the grass. If you aren't going to use a trailer build up high sides on your pickup and have at it. Hopefully you have a dump bed or else you better start charging more because you are going to work to get them off every time.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

One thing that I have learned with a leaf box if you're using a truck vacuum is to make sure you can get a huge amound of air out of the box VERY FAST. We tried a million different setup for our leaf box and found that none let the air out enough for leaves to not blow out of the box somewhere while you were loading.

A plywood roof with a bajillion holes drilled in it didnt work and neither did any of the screening and the like that we tried.

We finally built a leaf box with the sides covered and used a mesh truck tarp for the top and I didnt think it would work, but it works great.

The secret is getting the air out of the box.

Now they mulch the yard up with meg-mos then go over it with a trac-vac and suck it up with the truck. We use a cab-over mitsubishi fuso.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My set-up is a 6 x 10 dump trailer with a 16 hp Billy Goat leaf loader. I blow the leaves with wb and back-pack blowers into large piles and then load the leaves into the trailer. I have done this for 5 years an it works very well. If not using a trailer, you would need a dump insert with a high box.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The best I've seen has been a 4x4 Mitsubishi FG with a 14' lanscape dump with 9' high sides and a 12hp leaf vac & 7'x14' dump trailer with 10' sides and 16hp leaf vac. Plus a F-350 crew cab with 7x14' inclosed trailer full of little wonders & bp blowers. They blew right through like 4 houses in a row in like 1-2 hours. They had about 6 workers.