Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2000, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Well this is it. I have this week left of work at my current job. I have been working in a shop for the past 12 years (since high school). Started plowing snow and Lawn Cutting on the side a couple of years ago. We have had such great success I am going full time lawn. I am so happy!!! Lawn Care Rules!!! Is anybody else going full time this spring??
Old 03-27-2000, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Member

WoW! must be exciting, i wish i could, but i don't have enought acct's right now. Good luck,work hard and make a little money. once again Good Luck
Old 03-27-2000, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Congrats!!! I hope to be there next year myself! Must be a great feeling! Best of luck!!!!!
Old 03-27-2000, 09:06 AM

Hello Doug406:<p>I wish you & yours the best!<p>Look like a Pro, act like a Pro, work like a Pro & you will get paid like a Pro!<p>You do all of the above, you will be a success & in a very short period of time you will find out, that it is one of the best decisions you ever made in your life!<p>It's hard to find anything more rewarding in life than being self employed & being a true success!<p><br><p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/
Old 03-27-2000, 06:12 PM

While it is rewarding to be self employed. I don't think I would give up a career job with benefits and a retirement plan and paid vacations to go into the lawn service business full time. You didn't say whether the above applies to you. So I dont know if you are giving up that much. Everyone seems to think at the start that this business has a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Unless you are planning on getting into this bigtime with a large crew and with the headaches that go along with that. Like finding and keeping good seasonal workers. You will find the net income results not that attractive.<br>The lawn service business is saturated at this point. The competition is fierce. Seems I cannot go anywhere without seeing several crews practically running over each other. Prices on average have not kept up with inflation. Where other services have skyrocketed in price. Ours has stayed the same or decreased. When you start depending on this as you sole income. Then it might not be so much fun. Maybe very hard to let any jobs go that are difficult or do not pay very well. Or that the customer is a pain to work for.
Old 03-27-2000, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey Charles, are you always this grumpy or is it just cause it's monday....ha ha, no hard feelings
Old 03-27-2000, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

MEGA DITTOS TO YOU DOUG!<br>This is also MY last week working in the factory too!<br>I chose last day of March to quit rather than the 1st day of April (I'm no fool) <br>The only concern I have is health Ins. which I can get locally for about 1 days wages.<br>I am trying not to look back at what I'm missing by staying (in my comfort zone), but looking AHEAD to what is possible in the future.<br>Should worse come to worse, I can ALWAYS get a factory job.<br>Good luck to the rest of us; I've been part time for 6 seasons & 7 is my lucky number. I also figured the year 2000 would be a good time to start, too.<br>I have a few diff. areas I'm diversified in, so if lawn care doesn't pan out in the next 3-5 yrs., I can branch off into something else; always be versatile, guys.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
Old 03-27-2000, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

IT'S NOT ALWAYS GRAVY BUT THE $1800 WEEKS(duringpeak) SURE ARE MORE REWARDING THAN THOSE DEAD-END JOB PAYCHECKS.<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING
Old 03-27-2000, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

You wont be sorry.As long as you put evrything into the biz you can. Servicing the clients is most important. Remember this always. If you have 100 clients and lose one your allright. If you have one job and lose it your screwed.<p>Kyle
Old 03-28-2000, 07:46 AM

I was not being grumpy. Just being realistic. Taxes, business insurance, equipment expenses, health insurance, seasonal work ( you may not make top pay all year around without contracts), finding good help, depending on good weather, more and more competition. IN our area on almost every block their are several lawn service companies this year. Just the facts. I try to help people once they are in the business. But I would encourage anyone to quit a good career job just to be outside. <br>Once you become a volume business. You cant pick your hours if you want to keep on sceduale. You can't be so choosey when It comes to picking customers you work for. Because of the competiton when you depend on this for your sole income. As you hit 45 and 50 years old you will have to probably drop your health insurance because it will be unfordable even with a 10 man crew. I have been wondering what I am going to do about this myself.