Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-06-2006, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever ruined a lawn? how bad?

I was just wondering, I've never did it but somtimes I worry on the really nice lawns, I might do something stupid and put a gap or cut too low before I realized that I just messed up the lawn. If you did, how bad and what did you do about it
Old 09-06-2006, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Heh

Don't sweat it too much since, at least in our area, lawns are very resilient. Keep your blades sharp, be cautious on your cutting height and watch your turning technique if you're using a ZTR or walk behind that might tear the turf. We have a few lawns that are irrigated like pastures and I occasionally get a divot no matter how careful I work the sticks. Not cool but I try my best to limit the damage. You'll do real long term damage if you use chemical
apps without knowledge and care. We have some lawns that are burned quite severely from one of the huge chem mass marketers in our area. I love America; where people will pay hundreds of bucks to have their lawns burned and ruined
Old 09-06-2006, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Even with all my years on country clubs, I never ruined a lawn.

Only two lawn ruinings even come to mind.

1. A golf course superintendent - an old geezer - wanted to try a cheap thatching gizmo. It was a springy kind of gadget that attached to the end of the mower blades and thatched as its prong swirled around.

What an absolute mess. Can you imagine how much turf tissue and crowns were mangled?

2. A homeowner near Beaverton, Oregon called me, because she accidentally used her Casoron as a fertilizer on her lawn.

And...and... she was a really good neighbor. She had also "fertilized" her neighbors lawn at the same time she did hers.

Those are the only two lawn ruinings that I remember.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 09-06-2006, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

i have seen chemlawn/true green ruin lots of yards
Old 09-06-2006, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I had one lawn that I trashed because the home owner likes to water to much. I told the home owner that he is watering to much he said should I cut it back to twice a day. needless to say his back yard was a swamp and smell like one. I was going on an angle in the back and tried to turn and started sliding down a hill, all I could do was pull the handles back and hope for the best. It left two trenches in the back yard mud everywhere.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Member

bump..........,..
Old 09-09-2006, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

okay

What did you f up? and want advise on?
Old 09-09-2006, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2
I had one lawn that I trashed because the home owner likes to water to much. I told the home owner that he is watering to much he said should I cut it back to twice a day. needless to say his back yard was a swamp and smell like one. I was going on an angle in the back and tried to turn and started sliding down a hill, all I could do was pull the handles back and hope for the best. It left two trenches in the back yard mud everywhere.
Ive had a couple like that....luckily both of them listened to me.
Quick 36 Samurai 16HP Kawasaki
21" Honda HR215
RedMax BCZ2600S Trimmer
Echo SRM230 Trimmer
Shindaiwa LE260 Edger
Stihl BR 600 Back Pack Blower
Stihl HS-45 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl 018C Chainsaw

http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com
Old 09-10-2006, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Member

About 15 years ago when I first started doing lawns. I put down some casoron in a flower bed and with the irrigation it moved into the lawn. I t took out about 25% of the 3000 sf. No I did not get fired.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Heck the worst is going around a badly angled turn too fast and the Wb gets onto two wheels as the blades slice into the dirt...
Going down a hill and swinging into a turn as the tires powerglide and leave marks, but all of this has to do with going too fast so the solution here is simple. Getting stuck in the mud might leave a few ruts but like has been said, be careful and minimize the damage.

With mud, I've learned stepping off the velke helps a LOT. Walk the Wb across, also if it's too muddy, skip that part and weedeat it best you can.

Also like in the case of rain / mud, after it has rained extensively and I have a slew of yards I need cutting, I always pick the ones I know don't get too muddy first and I leave the muddy ones for another day: 24 - 48 hours makes a big difference in the wet ones.

Last but not least, I've gotten to where I call some of my sprinklered yard customers and ask them to please turn off the sprinklers and I do this 2-3 days before I go out and this helps a lot, but try and remember to call them again to remind them to turn the system back on!