Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-28-2006, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn Renovation

Don't know if this is the right forum, but, I would like to know what works best in the following situation:
Renovating old lawn, may be anywhere from weed patch to semi good grass area. Owners want it removed, graded, and ready to reseed. I have been doing these by tilling or peeling the sod off (ALONG WITH A LOT OF DIRT), hauling it off, then either hauling dirt back in to raise to proper grade or trying to make do with existing dirt/grass mix.
This seems to work like CRUD, you wind up with a lot of grass/weeds which is nigh onto impossible to grade smooth, especially in dry sandy loamy soil, where it all turns to dust.
Is there a better method, better piece of equipment?

Thank
Old 07-13-2006, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have any pics of the property of where you are working? Then I will be able to see what you can bring in and do.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No, I don't. I already did it, and the guy was going to do his own sprinklers.

Mainly, I've just had several jobs this spring and in the past, and sometimes there is no other way, but to just tear things up and haul in whatever extra dirt is needed. But, on this one particular job, it was pretty much already level and really just needed some minor leveling and removing the existing weeds/grass. I had thought about just putting RoundUp on it, but it did need some leveling also, plus as it turned out, the guy wanted some berms built. So, all in all, it worked OK.
I am mainly curious as to what others do in similar situations fighting with the clumps of grass that you wind up with.

The yard was pretty sandy soil, and it was bone dry, and when I got through, I was VERY dirty!
Old 08-14-2006, 03:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The only thing you can really do to get almost "instant results" as they may be is to use a non-selective and cover it with a good rich, amended topsoil and hydroseed or sod. Sandy soils can take years to establish good turf on.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

When do you think it is appropiate to just slit seed the area instead of renovation. I have a new construction house that need to be reseeded. it could use topsoil but the customer may not want to pay for that after the cost of the home. I get a lot of people who want a nice lawn but cost is an issue. Most were grub damage and the ones i have done by slit have turned out great. Other LCO wanted to renovate at about 5x my costs.

Looking for anyones opinion on this.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

if its less than say 40% grass cover then I would renovate, however I've slit seeded basically bare areas as well.

I do double pass at an angle to ensure good coverage and eliminate croprows.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Member

If ,

Im doing a lawn and encounter a bare spot, i run throgh with the seeded and come back and broadcast a light coat of seed over the area to even it out. Always works well