Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-23-2006, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Spot treatment question

My question is to you charge extra to spot treat broadleaf weeds and such in a lawn. I have a set price with each customer for each application and adding a spot treatment adds more product and time and my expensive. The liquid spot treatments have worked great so far. I use granular and havent had too much success getting rid of weeds. I apply when I should and do not have results. Please comment.

Chris
Old 08-23-2006, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

granular fertilizer and liquid weed control = 1 application/ 1 invoice
Old 08-23-2006, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK82
My question is to you charge extra to spot treat broadleaf weeds and such in a lawn. I have a set price with each customer for each application and adding a spot treatment adds more product and time and my expensive. The liquid spot treatments have worked great so far. I use granular and havent had too much success getting rid of weeds. I apply when I should and do not have results. Please comment.
Chris
If it is a full program customer retreats are done at no charge. If they just get a few services a year then our guarantee doesn't apply and a follow up would be extra.

As you have noticed granular post emergent generally does not work as well as liquid, especially if the weeds are not wet when it is applied. Using a tank or a PG to spray broadleaf will get you better results if you have enough work to justify it.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you selling fertilizer and weed control as your service?

If so, spraying weeds is part of the service, regardless of how you choose to tackle it.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i agree with the other post, but will add that you need to talk to your customers up front and explain that weeds are part of nature and their unpredictable, and you will treat for weeds on every app, and that you scedule your apps at a set time interval. and as far as crabgrass goes, i have had more customers complain about the 'orange' color of the dead crabgrass in their lawn after treatment, that is why i will rearly treat post for it. i know most people on here treat it, or say they do, but it dies after the first frost and a good pre-m in the spring split in 2 apps does a great job of keeping it at-bay. like everything else in this business, a good thick, lush lawn, that is mowed and waterd correctly should not need any attention other then fert program. as far as setting a price? take your most expensive app (which is your pre-m app) and price off it.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you for the replys. It just takes a lot more time to spot treat lawns that have not been treated in the past very well and I usually price my applications at a flat rate. Anyways I will set things up a little differently next season. At least the lawns will look good.

Chris
Old 08-25-2006, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK82
Thank you for the replys. It just takes a lot more time to spot treat lawns that have not been treated in the past very well and I usually price my applications at a flat rate. Anyways I will set things up a little differently next season. At least the lawns will look good.

Chris
new accounts will be tougher going. i assume you are using a backpack type sprayer?
a brand new account will be a bit less profitable due to the fact as you mentioned earlier it takes more time and product.

we charge a flat application rate as i'm sure most do as you. the lawns that we have had a season or more are much more profitable (because we already paid the price to get it that way applying more product taking more time to do it) it all averages out.

keep good records on how much you are spending on product this year. include all products you apply to lawns not just the fert. keep track of your time as well. now you'll have a good 'bench mark' to set your prices for next season
Old 08-25-2006, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Member

New lawns after spring, you can give a price for treatments , but need to get a better price for the first app if it is full of weeds and crabgrass. If youve got to use 30 dollars worth of product just to get the weeds the first time out, the customer needs to pay what you want for the first app. Then you can resume your normal program.

Its not your fault the customer let the lawn get that way. If you were treating the lawn since spring, then you are on the hook for the weed/crabgrass control later on. Not new ones though.

They need to pay for the expensive weed and crabgrass controls.