Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-25-2006, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Member

As you know, parts guys normally look up everything based upon model or serial number. The grey market machines aren't in their database. A friend of mine has a Komatsu dozer and has a hard time finding the correct part because of this.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Heres a link to the page
http://www.cat.com/cda/layout?m=37840&x=7
2011 8x16 Pace Summit trailer
2010 Exmark TTHP 17/48
04 Exmark Viking 32"
96 Exmark Metro 36"
Echo, Redmax, and Shindaiwa handhelds. Husky chain saws.
2010 F-350 4x4 6.4 PSD w/ 8' Western plow.
1997 F-250 4x4 7.3 PSD
2004 Bobcat 61" 25hp ZTR for sale. 1100 hours, Under 10 hours on a TOTAL DECK REBUILD! PM for details
Old 08-25-2006, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think grey market Hitachi's are easier to get parts for than grey Komatsus, so I've been told. Even then, it's still a gamble. I would recommend staying away from grey if at all possible unless your funds are really limited.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 08-25-2006, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobcatservice

Is there really a bad excavator? Im kicking around hate to spend the money. I mainly to general landscaping 9 new yard installs ) Build a lot of srw's. Currently use a 709 hoe attachment. I dont do any water, sewer lines, etc.
Mike
Old 08-25-2006, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I would probably avoid a machine with that type of boom it makes the machine top heavy. I know a guy with a 311 its one size bigger than that machine with the same style boom he said if you get on a slope you could roll backwards. I watched him work on a decent slope and you can tell that extra weight above the cab makes the machine a little more wobbly.

The gray market Komatsu's are the worst for parts most of those machines are painted purple from the factory and companies over here paint them Yellow. There isn't many grey market Hitachi's around the old UH machines were mostly grey market the EX series not so much.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

While I can not remember all the exact details, as I am no longer involved in buying construction machinery, there can be serious legal problems arise in certain situations.
Safety is one problem. Most Gray Market machines are not built with the safety equipment required on machines built for the U.S. market. Should an accident occur with one of these noncompliant machines, you could be facing serious liability problems.
Engine emissions is a problem. Many of these machines do not meet pollution regulations. Fines can be pretty high if you get caught.
I can not remember the exact details, but if certain govt. agencies inspect your machine and find it to be a noncompliant, Gray Market machine, it can be confiscated, and you have no legal recourse to get it back. There have been public service advertisements in many heavy equipment magazines detailing all the legal problems you are opening yourself to when buying Gray Market machinery.
And, of course, there is the issue of finding parts, which was touched on above.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobcatservice

Can i ask a stupid ? What do you mean by gray market?
Mike
Old 08-25-2006, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't know where the Gray-Grey market machine come from but the meaning is they are machines brought here from oversea's mainly from China or Japan. They usually have oriental writing all over the cab and they have that musty smell to them in the cab.

I don't think its as popular to bring machines to North America as the cost of shipping is so expensive.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:11 AM
LawnSite Member

One other thing to consider about Gray machines (not buying them) is the engine Tier emissions rating. In California, there is a huge crunch on contractors to have at least a Tier II Engine, which is quickly being pahsed out and replaced by Tier III engines. Essentially, each time you go up a Tier on the engine emission ratings, your NOX and other tailpipe emissions are reduced (typically by about 15%). Anyways, most Gray machines are not intended for North American use, and therefore, do not meet emission requirements. Most recent North American-made products have both EPA and CARB (California Air Resource Board) certification numbers printed on the engine serial number plates. In some cases, local authorites here have shut down jobs and in other cases red-tagged machines for not meeting Tier requirements. And, I've been told, once your into the database as a violator, there's no getting out.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Not all of the purple or blue, or teal komatsus are great market. some were designed for the us....they just used the reg. japanese paint.
Personally I like the triple pivot boom...really gets into a tight spot.