Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-25-2006, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearThisDeere
My first truck was a '96 F150. It was one great truck. Mine was 4x4 with the 5.8. Tons of power, but bad gas mileage. Costs a lot and hurts even more with dual tanks! Never had any real problems. A battery, a couple of front lights. The family friend that owned it before me used it to pull a 30' camper and ruined two rearends. He put a new in when I bought it and never had a problem with it. It was a common problem, so be weary of that. alos, the throttle stuck open on me twice... that was real fun! Little DW40 and I was all seat, but scary as hell. Just remember, it is an older 1/2 ton. Treat it well and it will treat you well. It is by far one of the best 1/2 tons ever made.
that's not a 4wd truck. too clean. needs 1/2" of mud caked all over everything

words of wisdom as spoken by a l.s. member at work:
"Gotta go, owners coming"
Old 08-25-2006, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hahaha... only happened once with this truck. I babied this like crazy. I washed it close to once a week. There was this one time in the spring right when I got my license that it did a little 4 wheeling. It took me 4 hours to wash it, but it was never the same. There was just a lot of truck to wash. The mud had gone up between the cab and back window, that was fun to clean.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

when i was your age, i couldn't stay out of the swamps. i was literally banned from the local car wash for clogging the drain with mud, then my parents banned me from washing it in the driveway and made me take it out behind the barn

it was fun, but tore up alot of stuff.

words of wisdom as spoken by a l.s. member at work:
"Gotta go, owners coming"
Old 08-25-2006, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I always have a good truck and a "bad" or project truck. The good truck gets babies beyond how a truck should be. The bad truck gets the crap beaten out of it more than anything. I havehad a Ford Ranger so deep in mud that it was coming in throught the door jams, and yes, it was 2 wheel drive. My driveway is part of a 1.5 mile long now gravel (used to be mud) driveway. They are buling a couple of houses out back behind me and I now the guys that did the excavating. They let me go out there all spring before they started work and man was it fun. Thank god for my John Deere and a good come-a-long with chains. It pulled me out more than a few hundred times. I put 600 miles on that truck just driveing around the 30 acres on the property (and the 600 acres of town land behind us... SHHHH...). I never drove the truck on the road or registered. I was hitting ponds at 40 MPH. I chased some ATVs out of our back fields and was abel to beat them to the trees. Once they started to build the house I sold the truck I got for free for $1500 and called it a day.
Attached Images