Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-27-2006, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Good Luck and most of all have fun. Don't let other people put you down for being young, what they are not telling you is they all started around your age and there just scared you might take work away from them when you get a little older.

My Friend who I have know since freshman year in high school started cutting lawns when he was 12 in his neighbor hood he now at 24 cuts over 100 lawns a week some being your average sub lot to 30 40 acre commercial property's, clears $300,000.00 a year in profit and only works April to Nov and take the winter off.
Mark
2003 6 X 12 Gold Star Trailer
2001 Exmark Metro HP 48"
Stihl Br 550 Back Pack Blower
Red Max Trimmer
Chain saws
Shovels
Rakes
I'm Sure i'm missing something.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Good luck!!!!! I'm proud of you because so many kids these days could care less about working at your age.

fluid film- the official sponser of sflqpru
Old 08-28-2006, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Member

good luck in thiis caree spelled wroung i think one thing about lawn care is u spend most of ur money on new equimpment

Brad' Lawn Care
Old 10-21-2006, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's how I started at age 12. I lived in a neighborhood with a couple hundred houses. I pushed my Toro 21" around the neighborhood. I handed out flyers around the neighborhood with my name. 2 people called about the flyers the first year, then the rest was basically word of mouth with a few calls from the flyers. It was only a few lawns to start off. I started to volunteer and trim/pull weeds and stuff at the entrance of the neighborhood, not for money, but just to build an image. I'd have people stop by and ask for my info or a business card when I mowed neighbors lawns or was out cleaning up the neighborhood. I was known as "that kid that mows grass" more than anything else, and by the end of the 2nd year I had over 10 accounts. I had a few other kids make fun of me because I pushed a mower around instead of playing football and stuff like they did, but with the cash I had in my pocket I could've cared less. Beginning of my 3rd year I talked with members of the civic association, that helped also. Basically just get your name out and hand out flyers a few times a year. As you get older you'll find that you can work less for more, and 5 years down the road I bet you'll drop at 1/2 to 3/4 the customers you start out with because they are no longer worth your time.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the reply. As for flyers... I am already doing that.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Metro- keep up the good work, like dcondon said, it is nice to see a young person working hard. I started at just about your age in the mid eighties. I wouldn't let these people discourage you about not being a "real" business just because you are 13. My friend and I had 25 accounts when I was 16 and he was 17. Sure, not a real business, but we were making far more than anyone else our age back then. That was money that I eventually started my current business with. Keep up the good work!
Old 10-28-2006, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeTruckMan731
GOOD LUCK GETTING JOBS AT 13, been there done that.
w0rd, I've also been there done that.

However, all you can do is try !!
Old 10-29-2006, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

No way mowing and skiing! You race?? I used to race quit this year simply becuse I've blown my knees out to the end. Good luck with the mowing! Thats how I started to. I had a person come up to me and ask if I cut lawns. I didn't at the time but then decided hey why not! So just do a good job try hard and everyone will see how hard you work, you'll make good money. Good Luck! PM me if you race
Old 10-29-2006, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

No I dont race. I just ski every weekend I can for fun.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

at your age you will have to start off and stay small for a little bit and work your way up with age, because at your young age, people don't want to hire somebody that is as young as you, trust me, been there done that.