Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-25-2006, 06:00 PM
looonman's Avatar
looonman looonman is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 16
briggs wide open

Could someone help me.
I have a Poulan 42" rider with a 18 hp Briggs & Stratton the mower runs wide open no matter where the throttle is set. The carb was replaced it worked for a while then the problem started again.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-25-2006, 06:23 PM
Restrorob's Avatar
Restrorob Restrorob is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Show'n my truck off !
Posts: 10,618
Make sure your throttle controls on the engine are moving freely also (broke cable ?) I have seen sand collect around throttle shafts and cause sticking, Also throttle butterfly screws vibrate loose and cause a high rpm.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
You never learn anything until you admit you don't know it all...

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-25-2006, 06:39 PM
Jim@MilkyWay Jim@MilkyWay is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dahlonega, GA.
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by looonman
Could someone help me.
I have a Poulan 42" rider with a 18 hp Briggs & Stratton the mower runs wide open no matter where the throttle is set....
Your throttle plate is that flat piece of metal, that swings back and forth inside the carb, just toward engine from where your air filter is. It must close off the air flow to allow engine to run at low speed/idle. Conversely, if your throttle were, in fact working as it is supposed to, then the plate will close off the air flow, and it is impossible for engine to run at high speed.
Study your throttle linkage, throttle cable connections and carb to see why throttle is not closing.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-25-2006, 06:49 PM
Jim@MilkyWay Jim@MilkyWay is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dahlonega, GA.
Posts: 476
Don't know how long it has been there, but I just this instant noticed that _Lawnsite "Senior" Member_ now appears below my forum name.
Just because I am old as dirt doesn't mean you should be mean to me!!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-25-2006, 07:13 PM
Restrorob's Avatar
Restrorob Restrorob is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Show'n my truck off !
Posts: 10,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim@MilkyWay
Your throttle plate is that flat piece of metal, that swings back and forth inside the carb
Hmmm, Jim I used the word butterfly because most people would relate to that word better than the "Technical name" of _Throttle Valve_
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
You never learn anything until you admit you don't know it all...

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-25-2006, 07:20 PM
Jim@MilkyWay Jim@MilkyWay is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dahlonega, GA.
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob
Hmmm, Jim I used the word butterfly because most people would relate to that word better than the "Technical name" of _Throttle Valve_
Thank you there youngin'.
I meant to say...."throttle plate/butterfly"....but my tongue got wrapped round my eye tooth and eye couldn,t see what I was saying.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:06 PM.

Page generated in 0.08380 seconds with 9 queries