Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-26-2006, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

resurfacing a driveway

My driveway has seen better days. What options do I have for resurfacing it? Also, what are costs/sf for a new driveway? Here's a pic.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.p...4&d=1155744003
Old 08-26-2006, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Unless there is damage not visible in the picture it doesn't look that bad. I'd have it powerwashed and spend some money on the yard. However it's your house and if the driveway is too worn for your appetite I'd say pavers, they'd go nicely with the brick, here they'd run you somewhere 12-15 psf depending on the material you chose.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is some damage right in middle of the driveway. The pavement is cracked. I will get a close-up picture of it later. About the yard, I have done a little work, and plan a lot more. I just moved June 17th. We've got a lot of projects going on, and the yard is less priority than some interior issues right now. I'm just looking at options.

Eventually I will tear out most of the lanscaping beside the driveway, and put in some smaller plantings, a brick sitting area, lanscape lighting, etc. Ideas ans suggestions are welcomed!
Old 08-27-2006, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just though of another option. If the concrete is structurally sound you could have an asphalt "topcoat" put on and have it colored and stamped with a pattern. A friend of mine had this done about 2 years ago and hasn't had any big problems.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestfireguy
I just though of another option. If the concrete is structurally sound you could have an asphalt "topcoat" put on and have it colored and stamped with a pattern. A friend of mine had this done about 2 years ago and hasn't had any big problems.

Do you have any pics of some color and stamped asphalt jobs?
Old 08-27-2006, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry I do not. I'm sure you could google "stamped asphalt pevement" or something like it.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestfireguy
Sorry I do not. I'm sure you could google "stamped asphalt pevement" or something like it.
Yeah, I googled it. That stuff looks nice. How does it hold up though? And how does the price compare to regular concrete?
Old 08-29-2006, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Like I said he hasn't had any major probllems. He has had to recolor a few high wear areas, it is a DIY thing just maintaince, if you are really interested in this option I could have him call you. Pricewise topcoating and stamping if ALOT cheaper than pavers or new cement.