Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2000, 08:14 AM

I have a lazer kholer. Saw in a post where synthetic oils were used. I want to get a consensus on this before trying them. I use slick 50 in my Van and it runs much cooler.<br>Is it okay to use synthetic oils in a mower?<br>What brand name should be used?<br>How often do u need to change that kind of oil?<br>Isee where they recomend synthetic mobile oil for the transmission mobile one on the lazer.<br>But i didnt see where they said use it in the engine.<br>
Old 03-26-2000, 08:20 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
I use havoline 10-30 full syn ($3 qt.)in my three<br>kohler twins and change oil and filter<br>at the end of the season or 300 hours whatever comes first.
Old 03-26-2000, 09:00 AM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I use Tufoil in all my 4 cycle engines and have for over 10 years now. If you want to check it out, www.tufoil.com and read about the 4 ball bearing test under presure. The top 25 additives lasted around 13 minutes before they went up in smoke. Tufoil lasted 15 days before they smoked. I have 2650 hours on a Kohler and it still don't need oil added between oil changes and over 3,000 on my Yanmar diesel in my JD that don't need oil added between changes. In my air cooled, I change every 50 hours. My trucks, I change every 3,000. You put in 8 ounces in a 5 qt. system the first time and 4 ounces after that. I buy it by the gallon. Don't add it to a new engine until it has about 100 hours on it, because this stuff is so slick, you want to make sure the rings are seated and it is in the Guiness book of records as the most efficiant lubricant known to man. I also run it in my hydros, but don't put it in an automatic transmission. I've heard it is so slick, they start slipping. When changing an oil filter, once the oil runs down the filter, you can't grip it hard enough with your bare hand to turn it off of an easy to turn filter. I have had great luck with this. If you put it in your truck or car, you can actually feel the extra power. When you accelerate is when you have the most friction, but with this, there is very little friction, so very little heat either. It's great for air cooled and water cooled.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 03-26-2000, 09:25 AM

I'm using Amsoil in my stuff. Change nce a year. From what I can tell they are running cooler and I know the oil isn't getting cooked and thickening up as bad as &quot;regular&quot; oil does. Also running Amsoil ATF in my truck transmissions, with the heat generated when plowing I want the extra temperature capability of synthetic in there. I do change filers at about half the oil interval, put on a new filter and top off with new oil and go the rest of the season. Also using Amsoil 2-stroke oil, no smoke, plugs last forever and and the trimmers are noticeable cooler after you've been running them hard for awhile. I buy the 2-stroke in little pouches, one per gallon. When my can gets down a little I empty in a pouch and add a gallon of fuel. Good luck so far with all the synthetics I have tried
Old 03-26-2000, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I run synthetic in most everything. I started off using Amsoil Diesel 30 in my Grasshopper. I have switched to Mobil 1 10-30 in that and use it in my 25 Kohler as well. I use Mobil 1 in most of my vehicles. But I am not a big fan of additives and don't use them. I use Amsoil 100:1 in my two cycle equip.<br>
Old 03-28-2000, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We use Castrol RX Super 15w/40 in all our <br>diesel gear. Castrol GTX2 in the mowers.<br>Castrol 2T 2 stroke oil. Good stuff.