Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-23-2000, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY TIPS ON TAKING CARE OF DECKS? KEEPING ALL THAT GRASS FROM STICKING TO IT. HAS ANYONE EVER USED ANY NONSTICK SPRAY, LIKE PAM. DO YOU PAINT UNDER YOUR DECK?
Old 03-24-2000, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Ive used Pam before. It works so-so<br>Check this out. When you are mowing and you find a decent size puddle on the road. Turn everthing full throttle, and slowly drive into it. Not all the wasy. Just the deck. Then &quot;mow&quot; the puddle. You will be AMAZED at how well this works at cleaning the deck.
Old 03-24-2000, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Grasscapeinc: No offense, but then didn't you just leave a huge mess in the street when it all comes flying out?<p>Metroman: I have found that making sure your deck is scraped clean and dry at the beginning of the day does the most good as the wet grass has little to adhere to. I don't think there is really too much you can do when the grass is wet from dew or rain to prevent buildup under the deck.
Old 03-24-2000, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Has anyone tried Mowr Kleen?<br>http://www.freeyellow.com/members/jamco/index.html
Old 03-24-2000, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You're kidding about the MowrClean right?
Old 03-27-2000, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Member

No. Actually the vacumm will keep the grass right there. When the puddle dries however, there may be a little bit to blow.
Old 03-27-2000, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I take a pressure washer with a rotater tip and blow the deck off. After you're done grease everything and you're ready for the next day.
Old 03-27-2000, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Member

in reply to grassenscape I have done this a few times in the past and well I thought about how the customer would perceive my company if I were washing my mower in a puddle and unless you have a deep deck grass does go flying about 2 feet around the deck...Not trying to be critical you may do it differently than I did but I thought it was a bit to messy...<br>Now i have a dixie flatlander and I dont get caking very often at all.also try not to cut the grass if its very wet and we wont get that problem..It is hard not to sometimes during the rainy season,,but Id rather try to play catch up then to throw wet grass onto the lawn,from what ive read its not good for the lawn!!<p>Tim<br>Clean Cut Lawn Care <p>
Old 03-27-2000, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

THAT PUDDLE THING HAS TO BE HARD ON THE BELTS,LIKE HITTING A BRICK.<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING
Old 03-27-2000, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We work all year long. That means that sometimes, except the heaviest, we work in rain. I donít use quite as big as decks that most of you use, but take advantage of the water that is running down to the storm drains. Yah it does make a mess, but nothing I canít blow back into the storm drain system. This is one of our advantages of working on mountain (little hills) terrain. As for when the grasses are wet and no rain in site, shut off the engine, put on a pair of latex gloves, reach the deck through the chute and scoop away.<br>Jean<br><p>----------<br>J-LC Landscaping & Maintenance Gardening<br>C-27 Ca Contr# 770044