Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-02-2006, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

best compact tractor for turf work?

I'm looking for a tractor to do turf renovation work this fall. Last year I used my Gravely 260Z to pull my 52" lesco aerator, it worked great especially with the zero turning ability, however getting up off the machine to raise the spoons is very time consuming and a PITA in general. I was a little light in the traction department on wet hills too.

I'm looking for a tractor with turf tires, 3pt hitch, front bucket and possibly a small backhoe off the back. what would the best candidates be? I saw a Kioti at a fair a couple weeks ago and it looked like a decent machine. I think the sticker was about $13.5K. I would prefer to pick up a used machine if possible. I don't know exactly what to look for so what should I? I would also like to be able to put a 4-5' slice seeder on the back of it to speed up the larger properties I do. I have a Lesco Renovator now. Most properties around here fall in the range of 20-60K turf
Old 09-02-2006, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Look at the Kubuta L series.

Nice little hydrostatic tractors with a decent price.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My cousin has an L35 (which I guess is the new L3400??) however I feel that is way too big for residential lawns for renovation and repair work. I feel a B21 would be more "in line" with what I am looking for.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I think you are better off to stick with one of the 4 name brand machines. Resale, parts, dependability, etc. Just make sure you get a full hydro transmission, it's the only way to go for the kind of work you're doing.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I really love my New Holland TC-33DA with front end loader and would get another tomorrow if I had to. It takes me about four minutes to remove the front end loader and then I use it for aerating, spreading, tree planting, ground clearing, and bush hogging.

BUT, if New Holland didn't exist, I'd absolutely get a Kioti. I've researched a lot and run quite a few as well: New Holland, Deere, Kubota, Kioti, even Mahindra. Even owned a Kubota before my New Holland. But for the money, Kioti's can't be beat. I think some folks stereotype them like Mahindra's but in many ways, they out perform the "mainstream" comparable machines. I have a fellow firefighter who farms with a DK50 Kioti and he absolutely swears by it.

Yes, the others mentioned here are awesome tractors but those Kioti's IMO can run with them all.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a b series, 30 hp, and it has been great...Its easy to get from site to site, I have several attachements for it , aerator, backhoe, 500# wide area granular spreader, 3 pt hitch sprayer, york rakes, graders, this falll I hope to get a harley rake for it. It has been better than I could ever have expected.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Check these out. These things are built like tanks.
http://www.farmtrac.com/

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you are not going to be using the backhoe for much, I would go with a kubota bx24. They are pretty powerful but they don't put to much pressure on the lawn. I demoed one about a month ago and once I can justify it, I will have one or one slightly larger.
2011 8x16 Pace Summit trailer
2010 Exmark TTHP 17/48
04 Exmark Viking 32"
96 Exmark Metro 36"
Echo, Redmax, and Shindaiwa handhelds. Husky chain saws.
2010 F-350 4x4 6.4 PSD w/ 8' Western plow.
1997 F-250 4x4 7.3 PSD
2004 Bobcat 61" 25hp ZTR for sale. 1100 hours, Under 10 hours on a TOTAL DECK REBUILD! PM for details
Old 09-03-2006, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

kubota B series

This is our primary workhorse.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2006, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&R Landscaping
If you are not going to be using the backhoe for much, I would go with a kubota bx24. They are pretty powerful but they don't put to much pressure on the lawn. I demoed one about a month ago and once I can justify it, I will have one or one slightly larger.
ground clearence,pto hp and 3 pt hitch lift height are very limited on the kubota bx series. You really have to jump up to the B series for serious commercial applications.