Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-28-2006, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pavers stolen

OK i get to a job this morning and half a pallet of paver's are missing, they were delivered Friday evening around 5 and i was there to sign for them, so i get to the job this morning and half of the pallet is gone, the homeowner says that the pallet was torn up Saturday morning, then why wouldn't he call me or the police? So what my questions are am i responsible for the stolen stone or is he, and do you guys think he might have something to do with it since he didn't call anybody and they mysteriously went missing over night? Should i contact a lawyer for there advice, my mom used to work for lawyer's so they can hook me up for a good price.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Member

For half a pallet of paver forget about a lawyer they will cost $$$$$$ even at 1/2 there normal rate. he didn't call the police because they've got bigger prolbems and will not do anything any way. Just go get a half pallet of stone tell them what happened maybe they will cut you a deal. Maybe talk with the homeowner and see if he will split the cost or something.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I had a stipulation in my contract that the homeowner was responsible for maintaining materials in good condition when one their property and they were responsible for missing material as well as damage to my equipment and already constructed areas.

I never had to enact this, but it was in writing and signed by them, so I think I was protected.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the police should be notified just for the record, the only way they know if an area is being targeted is if people report it.

the homeowner should be responsible for the pavers, its on his property, but see if the paver company can cut you a break.

if something has to be left on site, I try to tarp it, this way its not as easy to take or as noticable.

I doubt the homeowner had anything to do with it.

www.greenmountainlandscape.com
Old 08-28-2006, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Stolen Stone

Doing a patio now and homeowner paid for the pavers @ delivery. If they get stolen it is his problem and no money out of my pocket. All of my projects the homeowner pays for all of the material @ delivery, that way I know they have sufficient funds and also want us to hurry up and install so we get paid.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I doubt the home owner stole the pavers. But you can determine this better than me or anyone else as we do not know the guy, to get a read on him. If it were someone I was working for I would hope that I would feel pretty certian of wether or not they had anything to do with it.

As to who is responsible? Im not sure, but I would probabbly pay for the pavers myself(unless I was already in the hole on the job). I dont really think that it is your responsiblty to, but a reputation of doing more than expeceted is alot better than one of doing less than expected.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

its on u hope u had enough on the back end to cover the loss
Old 08-28-2006, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Location: Oakland, Livingston, and South Genesee Counties; MI.
Reasonable care

If you signed for them, but have a contract with the owner where equipment and supplies are left in their care during a job; the homeowner is legally responsible for maintaining "Reasonable care". A police report should be filed, and if you wanted you could claim the loss on your insurance, but it's not worth it.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would also call the police, just so they know. But dont expect anything to happen with it.
Also forget about a lawyer. Your only out of, probabbly $150-$200
Old 08-28-2006, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

alright ill see if the homeowner will go 50/50 with me on it then, i would have just contacted the lawyer for advice. i don't have them sign a contract because i always take all my tools back with me but now i guess i should look into that.