Register free!

Old 08-30-2006, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We do something similar, BSME good thread. Let me know when you finalize your winterization form. I am going to revise mine shortly.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I did close to 900 last year and plan on doing 1000+ this year. I will post pictures of hook up's in a few days. The key is to keep your route tight and select newer neighborhoods.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cush
I did close to 900 last year and plan on doing 1000+ this year. I will post pictures of hook up's in a few days. The key is to keep your route tight and select newer neighborhoods.
What do you charge if you don't mind me asking and do you warranty against freeze damage? This will be my first season offering this service so I have plenty of questions. I read the one guys post that gets $85. I don't think anybody will pay that around here.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will be charging $29.95 this year. And yes I cover against freeze damage, and from the 2,500 or so I have done in the last three years I had one backflow that froze because I closed the ball valve on it and water was still inside. The 12-14 hour days will make you do some stupid things.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One more thing most of the systems I do are pressurized irrigation so not many backflows. If thy have their own pump I charge at least $50 and lots over 1/4 acre are more. Before anyone jumps on me about the price some in my area start at $15. The reason I only charge the 29 is I have found the phone rings off the hook and I make more per day.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I will pray for you that one day your market will get better. Best of luck. If you are scheduling tight you can probably do atleast what per day? 20-30

The market in my area is bad too, I think this year I am going to raise prices on most but throw a larger net. I was thinking of having a base price for 6 zones then x amount each zone there after. Is this common to any of you?
Old 09-04-2006, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a base price on which I can tack on a couple of surcharges, like for the dismantling and reassembly of an RPZ, and for ten or more zones. Since I have no interest in competing on the basis of service price, I will continue to charge at least $70 for winterizing. No freeze warranty. When a homeowner asks about it, I'll ask them if they can absolutely guarantee that no water will enter the system over the winter.

"How can I do that?" they'll ask. I'll reply "Indeed, how can anyone?"
Old 09-04-2006, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots
I have a base price on which I can tack on a couple of surcharges, like for the dismantling and reassembly of an RPZ, and for ten or more zones. Since I have no interest in competing on the basis of service price, I will continue to charge at least $70 for winterizing. No freeze warranty. When a homeowner asks about it, I'll ask them if they can absolutely guarantee that no water will enter the system over the winter.

"How can I do that?" they'll ask. I'll reply "Indeed, how can anyone?"
I'm guessing everything in your neck of the woods is more expensive. I was planning to charge $5.00/zone with a $30.00 min. Does this sound like a reasonable price? I don't want to be a lowballer nor do I want to be overpriced. I agree with you on no freeze warranty. Cush's customer could have closed the valve on the back flow. There's too many things out of our control. Thanks in advance for any input you all might have.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You have to find your own comfort level. You start out wanting all the jobs, but at some point, you might go for less work at a higher profit.

One simple clue is how the folks working the yellow page ads respond to your quotes. If you aren't scaring anyone off, then you aren't charging enough.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That sounds like real good advise Wet_Boots. I know I speak for a bunch of people here on this site we all thank you for the knowledge and experience you bring to the table. Thanks again.