Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-04-2006, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You guys charging less than $ 60 per blowout must have some serious cheap gas rates where you live. Hou can you operate a vehicle, fuel for a compressor, cost of labor and profit doing a system for 30.00 and warranty against freeze damage. Showing up to winterize a system should not be any different that a regular service call to startup a system.
Here in our area rates have were the following last year;
1-4 Zones 70.00
5-8 75.00
9-12 80.00

Commercial: 15.00 per zone
Old 09-04-2006, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Most of these systems take me 15-20 minuites. I do between 25 and 30 a day and drive apox 30 miles the whole day. I do not go all over town, I only do the subdivisions I advertize in. I do not specify time of day only the day I will be there. If they want to be present they are told to pick a day they will be home all day. Last year I did 73 homes in one day. It was all in the same sub I just hooked up to the main line and went house to house opening up the valves. The no hose draging was sure nice. For those of you who charge $60 does it take more than 20 min? If not i would think there would be alot of people doing it if you could make like 1-2 grand a day.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cush
Most of these systems take me 15-20 minuites. I do between 25 and 30 a day and drive apox 30 miles the whole day. I do not go all over town, I only do the subdivisions I advertize in. I do not specify time of day only the day I will be there. If they want to be present they are told to pick a day they will be home all day. Last year I did 73 homes in one day. It was all in the same sub I just hooked up to the main line and went house to house opening up the valves. The no hose draging was sure nice. For those of you who charge $60 does it take more than 20 min? If not i would think there would be alot of people doing it if you could make like 1-2 grand a day.
Since I don't have too much experience with blowouts, this might be a stupid question, but how do you do a blowout without the customer there? Don't you have to turn off the main (this is in the house usually where I live), and how do you know if you've done all the zones if you're manually opening the valves(hidden valve boxes). And don't you have to leave the ball valves at a 45 at the back flow? Like I said these might be stupid questions. Please enlighten me.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Out of our customer list, we have two systems that we charge less than $68.00 (that is our minimum hourly rate) for blow-outs. One is the owner's home and we charge that at $34.00/hr. and the system at the vice president's house and that is $58.00. Everyone else pays. A residential system usually starts at around $70.00 and goes up from there depending ton the number of zones. I have a number of 4 zone systems that are in the same general neighborhood. $75.00 ea and a couple of them are right next door to each other. Then we have several commercial projects that take a good amount of time - most of the day for draining a 3" main and blowing out 80+ zones. But it is a $750.00 blow-out.

It all depends on the relationship you have with the type of customers that you have. Many of our customers expect to pay a lot of money for their services, and I don't want to disappoint any of them in that regard.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I was really surprised when I was in Spokane last fall and I saw signs advertising blowouts for $ 25.99.

We couldn't afford to drive around for that rate.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In my area all the subdivisions built after about 97 are all on pressurized irrigation. It is a seperate system that the developers put in. Each sub has its own pumping station and the main lines run on the back of the lot. Each home has a 3/4 or 1" valve in the back I just turn the supply valve off and hook onto a filter or hose bib. No going in house. You can see which sprinklers come on and if I can't find a box (this rarely hapens) I will call them and set up a time when I can use their controller.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
In my area all the subdivisions built after about 97 are all on pressurized irrigation. It is a seperate system that the developers put in. Each sub has its own pumping station and the main lines run on the back of the lot. Each home has a 3/4 or 1" valve in the back I just turn the supply valve off and hook onto a filter or hose bib. No going in house. You can see which sprinklers come on and if I can't find a box (this rarely hapens) I will call them and set up a time when I can use their controller.
Out here we have common systems that do just the easement strip by the road, but the actual lot irrigation is up to the owner.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
For those of you who charge $60 does it take more than 20 min? If not i would think there would be alot of people doing it if you could make like 1-2 grand a day.
If making copious amounts of cash is wrong, "I don't want to be right..."

I have no desire to become a 501-3C...
Old 09-05-2006, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For you guys that rent a aircompressor for shutting systems down what do you pay? Around $70 per day?
Old 09-05-2006, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

$1200 for a month....