Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-29-2006, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Slice seed, hydro seed, or both?

I'm ready to seed for a lawn renovation (my house). Two weeks ago I killed off the grass (it was fine fescue). I've mowed it as short as I could, dethatched it and bagged the clippings. Some areas, especially by the street, are bare dirt. Some look like the pictures below:

I think I need to slice seed for the areas that still have some old dead grass so the seed gets contact with the soil. But, I can also rent a hydroseeder to spread the paper mulch. If I spread the seed and fertilzer, run the slice seeder multiple directions, would using the hydroseeder just to spread the mulch be a waste of time and money? If so then I'll still need some straw for the bare dirt areas to keep the seed from washing away? I have an irrigation system so I can water it lightly multiple times per day to keep it damp.

Thanks,
George
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2006, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have found that hydroseeding has it's place, but is generally oversold-at least around here... Hydroseeding is great for areas too steep, irregular, or small to run a tractor mounted seeder through. Also, if you have no irrigation, it helps hold moisture in during germination period. If done right it can lessen washouts (an insurance policy) If you are seeding a relatively flat area with irrigation, it tends to be a bit of a waste of money in my opinion. A great stand of grass can be grown by seeds being sown in the ground. Just remember-poor soil preparation & fertilization are not made up by hydroseeding-and that is where I see a lot of lawns fail.

Hope that helps.................
Old 09-14-2006, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with Liberty, I used to have a Hydroseeding business and slit seeding is more effective. Because of the direct seed/soil contact. Hydromulch suspends the seed in the paper and sometimes has difficulty getting to the soil. But I've gotten sod quality results with hydroseeding and irrigation also. If your thinking about hydroseeding do it this way. 1. Fertilize 2. Seed with spreader 3. Cover with paper mulch. As you will find some guys are slim on the grass seed when hydroseeding because in dry conditions it takes more material to cover an area because it is absorbed by the dirt. Hope that helps!