Register free!

Old 08-29-2006, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What should my 2nd hardscaping truck be?

Please don't move this to the truck forums.

Next year i am going to be adding 2 employees. Right now i just have 1 helper.
I have a cat 246b and will be adding a 7-10k mini x next year most likely. I bring all my tools to the jobsite in a 18x8 enclosed trailer. Most of my jobs are 2 weeks +, but sometimes i do small walkways. 100% of my materials are deliveried, as i feel thats the most cost effective way to run my business at this size. Majority of my business is hardscaping, but i am starting to do plantings.

Right now i have a 05' Dodge Ram 3/4 ton Cummins. For a 2nd truck i am thinking something 18-25k gvw so i could tow the minx and skid steer at the same time. Thats not a need, but it is perferable. I also would like to stay away from Ford, Dodge, and Chevy if possible. I want a truck that will last. Also i will be buying used. I'd like to spend no more than $25,000.

I got some ideas, but i want to see what you guys come up with first.

Matt
Old 08-29-2006, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

check out ETWman's switch n go system. It's tough to beat that setup he has!

he uses intern. 4700's he buys off lease for peanuts.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pete 335 with hooklift or switch and go. Also a GMC 5500 is nice because its a bigger truck but you can still get in 4x4. You may also want to see what Dodge's 4500-5500 series truck will be like. I would get a box for it and also a dump body that should hold you for a while.

Last edited by jazak; 08-29-2006 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Look at royaltruckequip.com They have used fleet or gov. trucks that they cleanup and puit new bodies on. I've heard great things about them. They have a couple freightliner, gmc, and ford roll-off trucks on ebay now going for about 25-30k. Then you could switch off bodies. I think that a large boxtruck might be a decent option too. Why not a dump? I think that you might save more in the long run by having stuff picked up, especially on small orders.

What kind of mini-ex are you looking at (CAT!?!)
Old 08-29-2006, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The problem with royal is that must of the trucks have 150K+ milage on them thats why they're cheap.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jazak- Yes and no, First off 150k on those trucks isn't much. A landscape contractor doesn't usually put many miles on a truck anyway. The ones on ebay now are about 100-150k. If the maintenance record is good and you take care of it, that sort of vehicle should last a very long time.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mrusk- HAve you given any thought to getting an enclosed utility/service body. That way you'll have the compartments for tools and an enclosed area for other tools and plants. Get an international freightliner,etc and you can tow the trailer too. The enclosed part of the body will also provide plenty of space for advertising/lettering.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ok thanks for the responses. My first thought was to buy a international 4700 with 100-125k take the box off and put on a hook lift. But since it doesn't make sense to pickup materials, i think that idea isn't the best.

Than i am thinking of getting a international 4700 low profile and putting a backpak tool box behind the cab and getting a 12ft flat bed with removalable sides.

I am trying to keep it non cdl so all employees can drive it. I know any driver that tows with it will need a CDL CLASS A.

NO point in buying a box truck or utlity body since i can fit more tools in my enclosed trailer.

Matt
Old 08-29-2006, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

do you think you can save your money on the mini ex,and look into a backhoe attachment? i know your not into doing much digging so it could save you a few bucks,its up to you.

could a roll of type of trailer interest you?,depending on price that is.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

with a hook lift or switch and go on the big trucks you can haul the equipment right on the truck w/o a trailer or use it for pallet material or whatever you choose.