Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-23-2006, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Honda Harmony Blade Problem - HELP!!!

I just purchased a Honda Harmony 21" 3 speed push mower last weekend, the kind with the Quadracut dual blades. I've cut two and a half yards with it. One yard had some well-camoflauged corn cob bits (from the surrounding corn field) amongst the taller grass, but the other yard had nothing that would damage the blades.

Anyhoo...I started cutting my own yard with it today and noticed that the tips of the grass were turning brown, so I decided I would check to see how dull the blades were. Well, not only were they dull as heck, but there were all kinds of dings in them.

It's an awesome mower, but I hate to think that I'm going to have to sharpen twin blades every single time I mow.

Any advice from other Harmony owners?
Old 04-23-2006, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

On the note of that field you ran through: dirt and wood dull blades fast, you don't have to hit rocks, it does to blades the same thing it does to a chainsaw. Doesn't really matter what kind of wood, even leaves do it and so do sticks, really most anything that isn't green and plant etc... So if you hit a dozen or two of those cobs, that might've been it.

My recommendation is make sure your cut height is set to 3 inches, this helps prevent the problem somewhat, and maybe charge extra for the off-road mowing, so to speak (I do, for extreme turf it costs more but yeah it has to be extreme and not just full of weeds I mean).
Course, sometimes we don't see it but with tall grass I like to take a walk around and stick my feet into it to get a better idea.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

too sharp blades make this more likely to happen, they don't have to be razor sharp. ive never had the problem you have described and have a several on those hondas

Summer Setup

Ford Trucks
PJ Trailers
JD & Wright Equipment/Mowers
Old 04-23-2006, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
On the note of that field you ran through: dirt and wood dull blades fast, you don't have to hit rocks, it does to blades the same thing it does to a chainsaw. Doesn't really matter what kind of wood, even leaves do it and so do sticks, really most anything that isn't green and plant etc... So if you hit a dozen or two of those cobs, that might've been it.

My recommendation is make sure your cut height is set to 3 inches, this helps prevent the problem somewhat, and maybe charge extra for the off-road mowing, so to speak (I do, for extreme turf it costs more but yeah it has to be extreme and not just full of weeds I mean).
Course, sometimes we don't see it but with tall grass I like to take a walk around and stick my feet into it to get a better idea.
I don't know if I'm ready for any "extreme" lawns...although, I suppose the edge of this yard would be considered extreme, as not only am I contending with corn fields (cobs, stalks and tractor ruts last year) on two sides, but there is also an abandoned house with four foot high weeds next door and a poorly laid out (steep, crooked) drainage ditch in between the shack and the property that I'm cutting.

The unfortunate thing about this scenario is that I cut this lawn for my landlord, in return for discounted rent (I only pay $200 a month for a 2 bedroom house). I don't know if I can up my "price" due to the already generously low rent I'm receiving.

Actually, I didn't run the mower through the field. There were 2 half pieces of corn cob from the field sitting in the grass of my landlord's property. I had done a walk through two weeks ago and picked up all of the cobs , I thought. It was too dry to cut at the time. However, the farmer has taken some equipment through the field recently (within the last 7 days) and the tractor may have kicked some more strays into the yard.

It may not have been many cobs, but I think the fact that I was mulching instead of bagging may have kept them in there longer than they needed to be.

Unfortunately, I don't know if a 3" cut is possible on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. In my area, I'm basically mowing weeds. I have no customers who actually have a lawn consisting of turf grasses. And actually it is rare to see a real lawn around here. But I digress, a "weed lawn" as I call them would look even worse than it already does if allowed to grow to that height.

This is probably the worst yard that I do, aside from that half acre parcel with flowerbeds, shrubs, dwarf trees, fences, archways, birdbaths, potted plants...

Last edited by grassmasterdawn; 04-23-2006 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Off-road mowing

On a separate note: Topsites, what types of equipment do you use for the off-road mowing?
Old 09-12-2006, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I believe I have the same mower as yours. It left a nice cut last year...this year I have been working out of town...so I only mow once a week on the highest setting. Anyway, now it is leaving a lousy cut because the grass matts down from the front wheels and the mower doesn't have the lift to pick it up. I have tried mowing at all different directions, raking the matted grass up and mowing, cutting a notch lower, all to no avail. My blades are sharp and the deck is clean...anyone have ideas??? I'm about sick over this, my yard is thick and healthy, with a lousy cut!!!