Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-22-2000, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just kind of curious what some of you are doing about the escalating gas prices. Are you raising prices yet? Are you cutting back the use of extra vehicles or equipment? Here in the San Francisco Area Iím told that we pay the highest amount per gallon in the nation. I use Exxon brand of gas. The current price is $1.98 per gallon for regular unleaded. Iíve been told that to expect up to $2.35-2.50 per gallon by the memorial holiday period, Time to use manual equipment.<br>Jean<br><p>----------<br>J-LC Landscaping & Maintenance Gardening<br>C-27 Ca Contr# 770044
Old 03-22-2000, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I am certainly not an expert, but it seems to me that the gas used in mowers should not be taxed (just like the gas used by farmers in there tractors) is this true. <br>The gas used in trucks is taxed but the mowers are used &quot;off road&quot; therefore, no road use tax.<p>fdew
Old 03-22-2000, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Keep up with your gas or fuel receipts for your equipment. Your account can deduct the tax of when your taxes are filed. This is gas or fuel that is used for mowers, trimmers, tractors, etc.<br>
Old 03-23-2000, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have raised the prices on 15 of 22 of my accounts for this year. The others are new customers or were raised last year. If you think about it the price of gas is high but if you pay an extra 10.00 per day (assuming 10 gallon/mowing day usage) and each of your price raises averages to + $5.00 per customer, only 2 of your customers are paying for the gas. The other 13 in my case are profit. Look at the positive and realize you can do something to make it better for yourself.
Old 03-23-2000, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mow Ed<p>I've already have raised most of my accounts already. The point that I was trying to make is at what point do you swallow the extra cost of fuel.<p>At least in my area i can use the cost of rent, fuel, disposal, (dumps) & insurance as it seems it goes up every single month. In late Jan., I was paying $1.46 a gallon, now $1.98. That's a hell of a hit.<p>My next problem, how would you like to have this type of competition? In a two-block area, (about 40 houses per block) I have 32 houses. Each lawn is approximately just a hair above 400 square feet? There are at least 18 different maintenance people working this same area. How much can I increase my prices and not lose any of the fixed income people? I won't be able to because the cost of living is so high here that money talks and quality walks. There are people still that will pay for quality and service, but most of the time it boils down to money.<br>Jean<br><p>----------<br>J-LC Landscaping & Maintenance Gardening<br>C-27 Ca Contr# 770044
Old 03-23-2000, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jean, I was wondering what you average per cut for those small lawns? The lawns in my area are large and I find that with the prices the way they are, it is more profitable to take care of the small ones.<br>Chris
Old 03-23-2000, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i have found the same thing i charge a 20.00 stop fee and 1.00/1000 s i make the majority of my money on the stop fee it i can do 4 25.00 lawns in the same time i can do 1 65.00 lawn (acre) i like the smaller ones im just starting out so i am kind of spread out but not too bad <p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
Old 03-23-2000, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

nlminc<br>The average price per client is around $22(front and back), 2 times month, includes some basic trimming of small bushes. Included also I spray for weed control and fertilize 2 times a year.<br>Now if you drive 20 miles south of Daly City(neighbor to San Francisco) , you have to do the yards 1 time a week during the growing season. I lose about 30 days a year because of weather (rain), but at least itís not all at once like the valley or up in the mountains.<br>Were I make my money is doing extra service such as replacement of lawns, irrigation, and any kind of extra work. It helps also that I work by myself most of the times.<p><p>----------<br>J-LC Landscaping & Maintenance Gardening<br>C-27 Ca Contr# 770044<br>
Old 03-23-2000, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I raised prices for most of my customers $2-$5 this season, more so because its been several years for most of them since a price increase, but in the back of my mind its the gas thing too.<p>Last year gas was $1.29, now its $1.69, 40 cents a gallon wont put me under, but the customers think its a lot more so more profit for me.<p>As a side note, when I got my drivers license in 1981 my first tankful of gas cost $1.40 a gallon, if gasoline kept up with inflation that same gallon would cost me $2.63 today so Im not going to whine too much about gas prices.<p>Bill
Old 03-23-2000, 06:29 PM

Hello:<p>I know the gas prices is bad & everybody is catching hell over it. But if you figure every lawn on a individual basis, the cost is not that much. Yes I know over a months time gas has went up 25% or so higher than what you have been paying. What I mean is your monthly gas is 25% or more.<p>But here is the thing to think about, don't let gas prices dictate what you are going to charge to cut grass.<p>I was a firm believer in this. <p>ALWAYS CHARGE AS MUCH AS THE MARKET CAN BARE & THEN SOME IF POSSIBLE!<p>Always figure your time & what you get paid per lawn. Do this everytime. Make you a chart most profitable down to least profitable. Raise the least profitable.<p>When you got about all you can handle, then it is time to charge more when bidding. The people that will pay more right off the bat are the ones to keep.<p>My 3rd year I had to borrow lots of money to expand. I got a bad attitude & a nasty one at that.<p>When I was going on these jobs that I thought $35 or $40 was top dollar per cut & all the market could bare. I was quoting $45, $50 & even $60. I was getting them left & right. Then I went back & raised my least profitable.<p>WE all think we are good & we are! Again one more time, repeat?<p>ALWAYS CHARGE AS MUCH AS THE MARKET CAN BARE & THEN SOME IF POSSIBLE!<p><br><p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/