Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-30-2006, 11:42 AM
dr9's Avatar
dr9 dr9 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: southern indiana
Posts: 18
what height do you

typically cut grass this time of year? I generally leave it about 3 1/2" but was wondering what others do.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-30-2006, 12:05 PM
Scag413's Avatar
Scag413 Scag413 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oakland City, IN
Posts: 1,269
I mow at 3" the whole year.
__________________
1990 Ford F-150
6.5'x12' Tandem Trailer

Kubota ZD323 60"/23hp
Exmark Commercial 21"/6hp

Stihl 110RX
Stihl FS80
Redmax EBZ8001
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-30-2006, 12:10 PM
Brendan Smith's Avatar
Brendan Smith Brendan Smith is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Darlington, SC
Posts: 1,200
depends on the turf. centipede (90% of my lawns) i am cutting at 2 1/4 - 2 1/2", bahia (the other 10%) i am cutting at 2 1/2 - 3".
__________________
Don't move your truck for free

words of wisdom as spoken by a l.s. member at work:
"Gotta go, owners coming"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-30-2006, 01:13 PM
bbailey's Avatar
bbailey bbailey is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Vermont
Posts: 115
I cut all year at 2 1/2 and 2 3/4 depending on the yard.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-30-2006, 01:37 PM
1MajorTom's Avatar
1MajorTom 1MajorTom is online now
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbailey
I cut all year at 2 1/2 and 2 3/4 depending on the yard.
why so low for the northeast? do you find that your lawns are getting burnt faster than other lawns in the neighborhood once the hot weather hits?
we cut nothing lower than 3, most at 3 1/2, and a few at 4.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-30-2006, 02:21 PM
bbailey's Avatar
bbailey bbailey is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Vermont
Posts: 115
Have not had a burn issue up here this year. It has rained every time it gets close to drying up. I think striping looks better when you leave the grass longer but in all the years I have cut it has been 2 1/2 to 2 3/4. Most of the LCO's up here seem to cut between 2 1/2 and 3 inches. Kind of gives it that golf course look in a weird way. The way it is growing here now I could cut at that height twice a week and still get a good amount of clippings!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-30-2006, 02:53 PM
Damian Damian is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Central City, Texas
Posts: 242
My lawns are all St. Augustine and I've been cutting at 4" during the month of August. If we hadn't gotten a cold front and some rain through here yesterday, I was going to start cutting at 4.25"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-30-2006, 03:07 PM
noseha's Avatar
noseha noseha is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 554
3-3.5 90% Of Time. 2.5 Before Fall Last Cut Or If Watered And I Mow Twice A Week!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-30-2006, 07:56 PM
JohnsonLawn's Avatar
JohnsonLawn JohnsonLawn is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Wareham, Massachusetts
Posts: 400
3 1/2 inches here, all season long except in the fall vacuuming leaves and final cut. Then I cut at 3 inches.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-30-2006, 07:59 PM
ChadsLawn's Avatar
ChadsLawn ChadsLawn is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Holiday,Florida
Posts: 1,112
most of mine are St.Augestein so I cut @ 5" other grass 3.5-4"
__________________
_____________________________________________


6 Years on Lawnsite
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:22 AM.

Page generated in 0.09066 seconds with 9 queries