Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-23-2000, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I HAVE RECEIVED SEVERAL E-MAILS FROM MY FRIENDS ABOUT A GAS OUT..... HAVE YALL?<p>IF NOT THIS IS THE SHORT VERSION<p>DONT BUY ANY GAS ON THESE THREE DAYS(7TH-9TH)<br>BUY BEFORE OR AFTER THESE DATES.<p>THIS WAS SOMETHING DONE LAST YEAR IN CANADA TO DROP THE PRICE OF GAS.<p>
Old 03-23-2000, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I JUST GOT ONE THAT SAYS IT'S BEEN CHANGED TO MARCH 24,25,AND 26th. SOMETHING ABOUT AN OPEC MEETING?<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING
Old 03-23-2000, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The problem with the gas out is that over 3 days some of us may run out of gas j/k<p>I will try it, however fuel sales will be so brisk on the 6th, the stations may run out of gas and jack up the price anyway.<p>
Old 03-24-2000, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The only problem with this is...You are going to use the same amount of gas..you will just purchase more the day before and the day after.
Old 03-25-2000, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

is this talking about the month of april?<br>everyone knows that fuel purchase will be up the day or two before; but the point is the collective gathering of people in mass amounts to make a point. It's like a walkout at the factory- it proves a point by ALOT of people taking action on their frustration with corporate beaurocracy. Sort of like a million man march thing.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
Old 03-26-2000, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Gas outs do nothing unless you do not use gas,stocking up before the gas out and after must make those in power laugh,you still bought the same amount.To make it hurt them it must hurt you too.And no one is willing to sacrafice our daily conviences and park your truck-Do not use it,and dont go to work,do not mow the lawn,and most important do not make up the work after the gas out,thats how they recoup there losses.I cannot go without gas and operate my business,at least at a profit anyway,so I will pay the price at the pump.I heard of a similar coffee-out,dont buy coffee for 3 days on whatever date.This could work because we do not need coffee-water is just as good for our body and if we would all band together it would put a hurting on the industry(remember boston tea party),then prices would come back down to reality.I bought 2 lage cups of DD coffee today-3.20,this is getting bad-Ill go without just to stick'em like they do to me.<p>----------<br>John D<br>
Old 03-26-2000, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The point of a gas out is to cripple the industry for that day. Think about this.<p>The industry uses estimates to determine how much gas will be needed each day. It uses these estimated when ordering quantities and when scheduling deliveries.<p>Now, imagine this. One day, the gas companies figured to deliver lets say 1 million gallons of gas. That means they purchased 1 million gallons, scheduled trucks to deliver 1 million gallons, and planned for 1 million gallons. Now, all of a sudden, no one bought any gas.<p>You know what this means.<p>It means they have 1 million gallons of gas that they didn't sell sitting there, and already have another million gallons coming tomorrow, which they now have no room for because there tanks are still full from the day before. Besides that, they have a thousand drivers who loaded up this morning, who drove around all day and came back with full trucks because they didn't have to fill any gas stations up. Also, they have billion dollar tankers sitting off shore costing X amount an hour because they can't be unloaded because all the tanks are still full.<p>Get the point here?<p>The gas companies would be screwed. Think about it. What would you do, if all of sudden grass stopped growing and no one wanted there lawn mowed. What would you do? What would you tell your crews to do tomorrow if there was suddenly nothing to do? Good question. <p>Well, what the gas company would do is lower prices so that they could move the gas. Think about how much it costs to have all that gas ordered and not sell it. It would be like ordering 100 tons of fertilizer, and then not selling it that year. Sure, you could sell it eventually, but you have to pay that bill that lesco just sent you this month. So, what do you do, you run a discount just to get rid of it to cover that expense. To us, the level of expense may not seem like much for missing a day of work. However, due to the volume and the dollar amounts transferred each day, just missing one day could send the whole industry into a tail spin. Just think about how many gallons a day are sold across the whole US. <p>Just wanted to help clear up the matter on why gas outs do work. It doesn't make sense when you think about the fact that you will buy the same amount over time,but when you think about what happens in one day for the oil industry, it does.<p>
Old 03-27-2000, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Member

This legend started circulating last year and has sprung<br>up again - mainly due to the increase in gas prices. It's<br>not true, but many people still insist that it will do<br>some good and continue to circulate the email.<p>You can read more at<br>[url]http://www.snopes.com/ephemera/gasout.htm[url]<p>