Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-03-2006, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Which Jacobsen greens mower

I am going to be buying a Jacobsen greens mower but dont know which one I need. I am stuck between the PGM and the 522. The PGM is chain driven and the 522 is belt driven. Does anyone with experience with these have a preference? Which mower retails for the most.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

whats the need for one of these... I have always used the belts one on golf courses... mostly use toros.. anyways if you really are getting one and dont need it a lot check on some used ones.... search used turf equipment.. be much better of a deal for you i am sure.. good luck!!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2006, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I use a Mclanes reel mower on my own yard but want to "step up" to a greens mower. I will be buying used and they are both the same price. Was just wondering if anyone had any pros/cons to either of these.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any opinions?
Old 09-03-2006, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Member

to be honest with you i dont know much about the jacobsen line i just know golf courses use them alot. but for home owner use and commercial mowing everyone uses a true cut around here. its a great quality cut and i enjoy mine
Old 09-04-2006, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Member

I think tru-cut only makes a reel mower(I may be wrong). I want a greens mower. I think it will do a better job than a homeowner reel mower. I already use a Mclanes reel mower and it does ok but it does scalp some. The greens mower will roll with the contour of the ground a little easier.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

John Deere makes a really good greens mower. I was a golf course mechanic back in Florida and have experience with Toro and JD. Toro was always breaking belts and hard to work on. JD had sealed chains that never needed any attention and the reels/rollers were really easy to adjust and work on and kept their adjustment. I'd look at the JD before buying a Jake. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have used Jacobson greens mowers, Jacobson fairway mowers, Mclane, Pro-master, and Tru-cut. For my money on a residential lawn a Pro-master is the best. Too bad they don't make them any more. I use Tru -Cuts now with my old Pro-masters and my next purchase will be a Trimmer.

The problem with "greens "mowers is most of the time the ground is not smooth enough. If you scalp with a Mclane you will certainly scalp with a Greens mower of any brand. I have some pretty sweet level turf areas and the good homeowner models give a better finished cut than the greens mowers I have used. On residential lawns.

I even had a pro golfer as a client. He was surprised that my old Pro master cut his lawn, 20,000 of tiff-way 419, better than the Tri-plex he got first, or the Jacobson greens mower he brought out next.

If you don't believe me rent one or get a demmo before you spend the bucks. You are on the right track get away from that old Mclane.

I have had a colleague tell me the trimmers give a better cut. The Tru-cut and Pro master use the rear wheels for the drive mechanism. This makes the front wheels "light" and prone to come off the ground. The Trimmer like your Mclane and greens mowers uses a roller in the back which helps keep the front wheels on the ground. You can also get an after market groomer for the Trimmer which helps the grass stand up better for cutting.