Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-01-2006, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

they are everywhere and i don't see the trend reversing anytime soon. that is why you have to sell service and quality above price. once you learn to successfully promote your business this way, you won't have to worry about lacking for work.

words of wisdom as spoken by a l.s. member at work:
"Gotta go, owners coming"
Old 09-01-2006, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Smith
they are everywhere and i don't see the trend reversing anytime soon. that is why you have to sell service and quality above price. once you learn to successfully promote your business this way, you won't have to worry about lacking for work.
exactly what he said. i just love it when someone approaches me and brags about my work. makes my chest swell with pride, especially when they want me to replace their current lawnboy at a higher price. nothing beats that.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

its not a small lawn... i dont know the exact sq ft of it but it took me about an 45 mins. to trim, mow , blow and all that good stuff. and this kid is doing it with a small mower... maybe a 32" or 36" didnt get a good enough look. We were using a 48" & our 52" . and thats not gouging anyone. thats less than what anyone else would charge. alot less.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven386
I HATE LOWBALLERS!!! i bid a small lawn: cutting every week.. just the basics, i gave it a lower price than normal because its a family friend and i bid $45 .
Quote:
its not a small lawn...
Well, is it small or not?
Old 09-01-2006, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

eh i wrote that half asleep. leave me be! lol . its good size. like i said it took 45 mins. so yea. sorry bout that.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Top work and service you are right but there are new kids on the block here teenage girls and boys running exmark and scag walk behinds man they are putting a hurt on me they make me look bad,i say 18 and up on age grab it and go type's makes me hustle a little more.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
eh i wrote that half asleep. leave me be! lol . its good size. like i said it took 45 mins. so yea. sorry bout that.
i'd say 45 minutes with a 52" mower is not a small yard. i agree that you can't make any money charging 15 bucks and you weren't gouging the customer as previously stated by another member by charging 45 bucks.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YardPro
just becuase you have crap accounts that you cnnot charge the customer those prices don't get mad at someone that can to do it for more and make more money.

we easially get $40.00 FOR OUR LITTLE 450 SQFT LAWNS HERE..
last year we have a $35.00 minimum, this year it is $40.00

focusing on high end customers, charging them appropriately and doing what we say we will in a professional manner is what keeps us doing $60K per month..............

don't knock someone becuase they charge more than you... they ought to be the ones you are friendly with.. Thise are the guys that are helping YOU get more money for your work.....

you need to understand that the basic #1 buisness principal of capitilism is charge what the market will bear... This is a business, not a hobby... for you to succeed over the long run, you need to make as much profit as you can.. or you will be pushing a mower at 70 years old becuase you have no investments, savings, etc....
You are full of SH*t.

I challenge you $1000.

I am part of a lco in Wilmington, is this by you???

If so, are you up to the challenge???

It's one thing to stretch the truth but it's another to bs about what you get on every postage stamp 450 sq. foot lot.

I was born at night not last night and I know what a 450 sq ft lot in Wilmington will bring.

kc

Last edited by K.Carothers; 09-01-2006 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnwizards
i'd say 45 minutes with a 52" mower is not a small yard. i agree that you can't make any money charging 15 bucks and you weren't gouging the customer as previously stated by another member by charging 45 bucks.
we had the 48 & 52 going. that included the tons of trimming that hasnt been done all summer. and me running away from a huge spider in a tree that i almost walked right into... i let the mower go and ran like a little girl. i hate spiders. but thank you. id say normally that lawn would prob take 30 mins or so.. but it all depends on your area...
Old 09-01-2006, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Carothers
You are full of SH*t.

I challenge you $1000.

I am part of a lco in Wilmington, is this by you???

If so, are you up to the challenge???

It's one thing to stretch the truth but it's another to bs about what you get on every postage stamp 450 sq. foot lot.

I was born at night not last night and I know what a 450 sq ft lot in Wilmington will bring.

kc
i have to agree with kc on this one. 40 bucks for a 22.5 by 20 yard. thats a little hard to believe unless its on the side of a mountain then i can see it.