Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-31-2006, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Under 20k Excavator Whats the Strongest

As the title says weight wise.
What is the strongest machine out there.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

How do quantify strongest? The Komatsu PC95 is just under your weight limit so if weight follows function it would be in the running. The TK175 specs well as does the IHI NX80. Personally I look at bucket breakout and arm crowding force as strong indicators. Lift capacity also will give you an idea on stability. Some machines just feel stronger than others and it is difficult to say why sometimes. I also thought that the Deere mini excavators always felt weak to me. Very smooth but weak. That is probably personal opinion as they spec middle of the pack but to me they never "felt" that strong compared to others.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have been reading all the specs and the list breakout and lifting specs.
Are the breakout specs accurate or they skewed like skid steer specs.

I am personally looking for a very strong machine that will be big enough enough too dig basements ,septic lines, dig stumps, load rolloffs etc.
The 6k to 7 k stuff is smaller than I want.
The 10 to 12 k stuff I have rented is stronger but they seem to be borderline for the jobs I do.

I guess a better description would be what excavator would serve the same tasks a 30 k excavator but smaller in areas that a 30 k cannot go.
And it is a plus for me being able too move a 15k machine were as if I purchased a 30 k machine it would have too be hired out too move.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well they're all the same size, there is very little difference in performance between brands. About the only differecnes are the bucket breakout and crowd forces, that's about it. Digging a decent sized basement with a 7-8 ton machine would make me cringe, at least it would out here. Most of the basements we dig are on slopes so you need all the reach and lift height that a 12 ton excavator provides.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 09-01-2006, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yea I don't know that you can get all that from the same machine. Maybe a CX135 zero swing machine, but you'll have to have it hauled. I would look at the PC95. It is right in the middle a real big mini but you may be able to dig basements with it. If you don't sink your foundations in deep you would problably get by. 9' walls are the deal out here so everything goes in 7-8 feet usually. Thats a lot of material and requires a lot of reach. The 80 sized machines are nice and I have contimplated one. The CASE CX80, IHI 80NX and my favorite is the Kobelco CS80. You will have to make sacrafices. The spread between your two choices is too great and your trying to bridge the mini, full size gap. Hard to do with one machine.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks for the info guys.
As far as digging basements that would not be it's primary job.

I have been shopping minis ,but I can buy a used 10 to 15 ton excavator for the same price as a new mini ex.

Just trying too get the most versatle machine.

You can rent Minis here fro less than 200 a day so if I ever had a really small job it is easy too rent.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Most basements here are dug with loaders.
Mostly 953 Cats.

If you had an Excavator that could pull a .44 yard bucket The time difference between the 2 would not be that great on paper anyways.

I understand that unless you can dump the material far enough away it will have too be moved which would take additional time.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a 160 size machine and do mostly new homes and additions. it just about the right size machine but is also small for some jobs. I also have a 45 size machine that is great for additions and small pipe work but is a pain to load trucks unless your sitting on a pile and the truck is next to you. In the future I am looking to add a 75 size machine (zero swing) and a 225 (zero swing) or 240 size machine. There is no one size machine that can do it all it would be good for some jobs and nor good for others. I think thats why they make so many sizes.
PO Box345
Lincoln Park, NJ 07035
P:973-305-1227 F:973-305-0384
www.nuccioconstruction.com
Old 09-03-2006, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Most guys that have 2 excavators around here have a 120 and a 200, seems to cover most of the bases pretty well. Take a 200 to hog out a basement, a buddy of mine pulled 1,500 yards of material out for a huge house on the lake just slinging away with his 200. But you gotta have a 120 on call for the smaller stuff as well.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 09-04-2006, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Member

A 160 size machine can do all what a 200 can and its easier to move around they are very common here as a 160 can be carried on a tag trailer a 200 requires a lowbed. To have a lowbed truck thats extra insurance extra costs in general to hire a lowbed company to move you around adds to your expenses. Also your relying on the lowbed company to come and move you usually those guys are busy moving big equipment like 30-50 ton machines.

You really do need two sizes of excavators a mini and a fullsize you will never find a good inbetween machine. We do call 18,000lb machines mini's like a Komatsu PC-60 or a PC-75. If your really busy then you have 3 size machines a 6000-8000lb mini a 16,000-18,000 and a 36,000lb machine.