Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-06-2006, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Flexibility and knowing your market seem to be the name of the game.
I just talked with a chap in California....he runs a mini and mini skid steer and has always been busy......he gets in spots where others can't......he has gotten bigger by going smaller.....
Old 09-06-2006, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You origionally asked "what is the strongest?". I have started looking around and comparing......some of the new zero's have less break out force than some of the older tail draggers.......some of the bigger boys in our neighborhood are getting rid of their "new" machines and trading around trying to find a "new" machine that is a good producer.......I have heard great reviews on Komatsu PC50......it seems to be the flavor of the week right now........
Old 09-06-2006, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't like ZTS machines either ran a Komatsu 158 its a horrible machine its ZTS it bounces around it doesn't feel stable would I buy one no way.

Unless your working in really tight conditions a ZTS machine might be worth it otherwise stick with a conventional machine. I got a stiff neck running a ZTS machine because it wobbled around. It didn't matter how smooth you tried to be it still wobbled it is a brandnew machine I was on.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Gravel Rat........same complaints in general around here..."wobble-wobble" puts it pretty nice. Another pisser that guys are complaining about is that parts aren't fitting, rear hoods over the motor don't latch well for very long and in due time the hoods come off from guys just getting pissed at the latch system....cable's to the engine and air cleaner unit have plastic handles that are breaking inside the cab.......although "the wobble-wobble" is the big deal......
tell ya what, my 'ole tail dragger with a big old counter weight doesn't do that.....
Old 09-07-2006, 02:40 AM
LawnSite Member

The same company has two full size excavtors a 15 ton and a 20 ton no wobbling. The Komatsu has cheap sheet metal and the rounded cab makes the operators area cramped I had to run the machine with the door open or I got claustaphobia.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:38 AM
LawnSite Member

We run a 160 for when we need to move a lot of material, or digging mainline for developments, that kind of stuff. And a 140 and old beater 120 for backfilling trenches, houses, leaving it for trucks to load while we work somewhere else, etc. Also have a 4 ton mini for running on pavement, small utility work, stuff where a fullsize machine wont work.

160 really is a nice all around size machine its small enough to do a house site, but big enough to do development work. Sometimes it would be nice to have a bigger machine when doing deep sewer lines and dragging around the trench box, but it gets the job done.