Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-03-2006, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Member

34hp mower.... they should just go ahead and make that street legal so there is no need to trailer the thing
Old 09-03-2006, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Brook
Tacoma

Nah, it is only one page of posts based on speculation! Change your settings brother, it is easier to read.

If they do come out with a bigger stronger mower, lets hope it is superior to the 30 Kohler. I am not impressed with this motor. I hate that it can be running fine, and you idle it to about 1/3 idle and it will just die. It is cold blooded and will die repeatedly until fully warm. It also nearly always requires partial choke to start to turn the blades or it will die when cold, or semi cold. It will not turn doubles any easier then the 27. It should not have been released til all the bugs were worked out, and even the fix does not fix everything. A real waste if you asked me.

I will wait good and long before I buy any new mower engine til I am sure it is proven. I trusted Kohler, and I don't feel they came through for me.
This is exactly why I'm scared to plop down good money on this setup. I run solo and time is money! When I'm 40 miles from the house mowing lawns in a million dollar neighborhood, I'd look like a scrub trying to push a broken ztr up on the trailer in front of a half-mowed yard. Not to re-emphasize: I'm 40 miles from home!

In the Hustler forum, half the guys hate their Kohler's and half the guys love them. For close to $10,000, those odds stink.

IMO, this new Kawasaki would make the SuperZ so far out in front of all others, you couldn't even see second place.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What's so friggin hard for Kohler I wonder?

Double barrel carb... Briggs has been using that for years.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 09-03-2006, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Kohler luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy Lawn Service
What's so friggin hard for Kohler I wonder?

Double barrel carb... Briggs has been using that for years.
I've had great luck on Kohlers but they definately rushed the 30 to market.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma200
I've had great luck on Kohlers but they definately rushed the 30 to market.
The only problem I have with the 30 on mine is having to choke it to start it after it is warm. Once in a while if I am sidehilling really steep stuff it will cut out. I have not received the carb fix yet........But it seems to have plenty of power after the initial breakin period. I have 83 hrs on it right now, I hope it doesn't start acting up.

Has anyone bought the Hustler 26hp L/C Kawi those are suppose to be fuel misers too. My 22 Kawi L/C doesn't even burn 1 gal per hr most of the time which is pretty good and it has a lot of torque (can't spell ) but has made me a llot of money too.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 09-04-2006, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB
Has anyone bought the Hustler 26hp L/C Kawi those are suppose to be fuel misers too. My 22 Kawi L/C doesn't even burn 1 gal per hr most of the time which is pretty good and it has a lot of torque (can't spell ) but has made me a llot of money too.
I've talked to a couple of guys who have and they are not particularly impressed.
Nothing to write home about yet as far as performance for the price of liquid cooled.

Personally, I think the engine is a very clean L/C design. I like them. But I cannot for the life of me justify the expense of liquid cooled gas. In this class of engine, there is just no proof it offers much benefit... and for the money, you can just get a diesel in some other brand.

The L/C gas engines should last twice as long and get way better fuel economy.... but I just don't see any strong trends to back that up. They seem to be what we call "a grab bag" here in the south... meaning from what I can see, it's hard to know what you're going to get when you buy a L/C V-twin. Some guys seem to start having recurring trouble after a few hundred hours.... yet I see some of the old 17's that have thousands of hours and are still like brand new literally in every way.

The 3 cylinder Kubota gas engines (Grasshopper) seem to be a totally different story though.

If I were going liquid cooled, it would be a liquid cooled diesel.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 09-04-2006, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy Lawn Service

Personally, I think the engine is a very clean L/C design. I like them. But I cannot for the life of me justify the expense of liquid cooled gas. In this class of engine, there is just no proof it offers much benefit... and for the money, you can just get a diesel in some other brand.
The 26LC's are right there price wise with the Kohlers....at least in a Hustler.

I just don't care for only 675cc's powering large/fast ZTR's.

Also, MJB...

That 22LC would never get that mileage in a 21cc pump application.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 09-04-2006, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I really like my 26hp liquid-cooled Kawasaki. It has about 500 hours now and runs just as smooth as the day I bought it. It's the second liquid-cooled Kawasaki I've owned and the first one was just as dependable. Performance and power are very good but I'd want more with a 66" or 72" deck.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well, I spoke with Hustler (Adam) today. The Kawasaki phone number has been disconnected. Adam told me that they have indeed been looking at the new FH1000V. It's not just an even swap since that much more power would require modifications to some parts. As for a time frame on when we'd likely see it, he didn't know but wanted me to tell the lawnsite folks,"We are looking at that model."

I don't care when they get it as long as it's before next season.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just a bump to keep those interested informed.