Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 09-06-2006, 08:52 PM
gene gls's Avatar
gene gls gene gls is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Granville, Ma. 01034
Posts: 3,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy
Puppy, that X595 I have has a shaft drive to deck and other than a squirt of grease, its almost maintenance free. I reckon shaft is the way to go!
I really wish it would suck fuel from both tanks at the same time. It can be dangerous while on a slope and run out, unable to flick the valve in time.
I just give it a few starts and that works ok like Pugs said. I think thats just a normal set up where the pump has to get the fuel going but if it took fuel from both sides, there wouldnt be an issue! The fuel tank caps are rubbish with leaking. I hope they got that sorted with the new tanks!

Travis, if its true then thats great but even the 25hp probably wouldnt be that different to the 28efi. It needs to be 28 or 30hp to make it worth all the hassle and cost. We all want higher hp so going with 25max just wouldnt cut it in my book when Grasshopper, Kubota are 28hp and others up into 33 and 35hp.

My wish list, possible or not!
28hp Air Cooled diesel on the basic older short frame.
Somehow make the newer (improved) deck fit the old frame.
Shaft or hydro deck drive.
Make all belts a standard size so correct replacements can be found in Belt shops, not over priced mower dealers.
Move one of the hydros so can be easier access for when have to release the "nut". For when have to push the machine. Access to that release valve sucks!
Also, the hydro filter is a pita to get to!
Hyrdo sorted for more power to the blades. Take some speed off if needed. ATV hydros sound like the go for this!
Rollers on the back of the machine are to low and hit ALL the time, can hang you up on the most basic of dips. Even getting it off the trailer they always hit. They need to be 2" higher, perhaps the whole back of the frame needs to be higher.
The foot deck raiser thing needs to be longer and or bent so its easier to get with the foot.
A nice, not over sized folding rops.
Needs a storage compartment or tool box.
6 Tie downs. 3 front and back.
Deck easier to level.
Take sharp edges (top trim side) off the deck as that is where the paint is peeling.
Use standard size bolts on everything! Scalp wheel bolts for example.
MUCH easier access to the hydro cooler on the spoiler. Cant believe to have to disassemble the whole thing to blow it off! May be easy but still, what a drama!
Access to the hydro drive belt is a pita when in the field. Can be extremely dangerous changing one out! Not sure how that could be fixed though!
I would like to see larger tires on the machine and smooth front casters.
12v plug as standard. I had one fitted when I bought mine. Comes in handy for blowing up flats, lights etc.
Mud guards. This may sound silly but Ive had mud and dog sh!t flick up on me. Might keep the machine cleaner.
A lifting "thing" for the front end for changine blades. I know its easy to drive up a ramp etc but still, its not much to ask. One for the rear too to get out of a bog. Lift up, place mesh under and drive out. Simple! lol
Well said.....There is room for improvement.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 09-06-2006, 09:01 PM
Envy Lawn Service's Avatar
Envy Lawn Service Envy Lawn Service is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Followell
I have heard from our dealer and a hustler rep several times that they are going to start offering a twin cylinder vertical shaft Yanmar diesel thats gonna be around 20-25 hp.
John Deere used to use that engine on their GX355D lawn tractors.
Dixon is using them now too I think.

From what little I've heard it's a good engine.
But of course it's no 3 cylinder Kubota or anything...
__________________
ENVY



"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 09-06-2006, 09:09 PM
Envy Lawn Service's Avatar
Envy Lawn Service Envy Lawn Service is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,042
Mickhippy,

It sounds like you want a Lesco Ztwo/Cub Tank.
It has most of what you are looking for I think.

I think if you added a 12v plug and a jack you'd be happy.
__________________
ENVY



"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 09-06-2006, 09:38 PM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 7,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy
Puppy, that X595 I have has a shaft drive to deck and other than a squirt of grease, its almost maintenance free. I reckon shaft is the way to go!
I really wish it would suck fuel from both tanks at the same time. It can be dangerous while on a slope and run out, unable to flick the valve in time.
I just give it a few starts and that works ok like Pugs said. I think thats just a normal set up where the pump has to get the fuel going but if it took fuel from both sides, there wouldnt be an issue! The fuel tank caps are rubbish with leaking. I hope they got that sorted with the new tanks!

Travis, if its true then thats great but even the 25hp probably wouldnt be that different to the 28efi. It needs to be 28 or 30hp to make it worth all the hassle and cost. We all want higher hp so going with 25max just wouldnt cut it in my book when Grasshopper, Kubota are 28hp and others up into 33 and 35hp.

My wish list, possible or not!
28hp Air Cooled diesel on the basic older short frame.
Somehow make the newer (improved) deck fit the old frame.
Shaft or hydro deck drive.
Make all belts a standard size so correct replacements can be found in Belt shops, not over priced mower dealers.
Move one of the hydros so can be easier access for when have to release the "nut". For when have to push the machine. Access to that release valve sucks!
Also, the hydro filter is a pita to get to!
Hyrdo sorted for more power to the blades. Take some speed off if needed. ATV hydros sound like the go for this!
Rollers on the back of the machine are to low and hit ALL the time, can hang you up on the most basic of dips. Even getting it off the trailer they always hit. They need to be 2" higher, perhaps the whole back of the frame needs to be higher.
The foot deck raiser thing needs to be longer and or bent so its easier to get with the foot.
A nice, not over sized folding rops.
Needs a storage compartment or tool box.
6 Tie downs. 3 front and back.
Deck easier to level.
Take sharp edges (top trim side) off the deck as that is where the paint is peeling.
Use standard size bolts on everything! Scalp wheel bolts for example.
MUCH easier access to the hydro cooler on the spoiler. Cant believe to have to disassemble the whole thing to blow it off! May be easy but still, what a drama!
Access to the hydro drive belt is a pita when in the field. Can be extremely dangerous changing one out! Not sure how that could be fixed though!
I would like to see larger tires on the machine and smooth front casters.
12v plug as standard. I had one fitted when I bought mine. Comes in handy for blowing up flats, lights etc.
Mud guards. This may sound silly but Ive had mud and dog sh!t flick up on me. Might keep the machine cleaner.
A lifting "thing" for the front end for changine blades. I know its easy to drive up a ramp etc but still, its not much to ask. One for the rear too to get out of a bog. Lift up, place mesh under and drive out. Simple! lol
I like the mud flap idea I sometimes have as many as 3 to 4 hundred Canadian geese on and around my lake and have had goose crap thrown all over me including my face. I personally believe it would have to drive the blades with something besides a belt because if the engine want kill back something has got to give and it would be the belt that would be the weak point. Envy do you think a belt drive could hold a 36 efi or would it smoke them in heavy wet grass? The new bigger gas caps on this new Hustler are fine no problems at all you would be pleased with them.
__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 09-06-2006, 09:51 PM
Envy Lawn Service's Avatar
Envy Lawn Service Envy Lawn Service is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws
I personally believe it would have to drive the blades with something besides a belt because if the engine want kill back something has got to give and it would be the belt that would be the weak point. Envy do you think a belt drive could hold a 36 efi or would it smoke them in heavy wet grass? The new bigger gas caps on this new Hustler are fine no problems at all you would be pleased with them.
Oh yeah... it can be ran with a belt NO PROBLEM.
But not with any Micky Mouse belt and belt routing setup.

I'm not trying to be negative towards Hustler at all, believe me, but I really doubt their current routing is going to cut it though. Like I said though, I'm not posting to be negative. So just let me know and I can give you some specifics to look at on your machine's belt routing so you can judge what I'm saying for yourself.
__________________
ENVY



"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 09-06-2006, 09:58 PM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 7,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy Lawn Service
Oh yeah... it can be ran with a belt NO PROBLEM.
But not with any Micky Mouse belt and belt routing setup.

I'm not trying to be negative towards Hustler at all, believe me, but I really doubt their current routing is going to cut it though. Like I said though, I'm not posting to be negative. So just let me know and I can give you some specifics to look at on your machine's belt routing so you can judge what I'm saying for yourself.
Would a drive shaft be better or worse, if you were trying to put that much power to the blades what would you suggest. I am thinking like you I believe it would melt the belt configuration they have now.
__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 09-06-2006, 10:00 PM
TLS's Avatar
TLS TLS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: N&W Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 7,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy
Puppy, that X595 I have has a shaft drive to deck and other than a squirt of grease, its almost maintenance free. I reckon shaft is the way to go!
I really wish it would suck fuel from both tanks at the same time. It can be dangerous while on a slope and run out, unable to flick the valve in time.
I just give it a few starts and that works ok like Pugs said. I think thats just a normal set up where the pump has to get the fuel going but if it took fuel from both sides, there wouldnt be an issue! The fuel tank caps are rubbish with leaking. I hope they got that sorted with the new tanks!

Travis, if its true then thats great but even the 25hp probably wouldnt be that different to the 28efi. It needs to be 28 or 30hp to make it worth all the hassle and cost. We all want higher hp so going with 25max just wouldnt cut it in my book when Grasshopper, Kubota are 28hp and others up into 33 and 35hp.

My wish list, possible or not!
28hp Air Cooled diesel on the basic older short frame.
Somehow make the newer (improved) deck fit the old frame.
Shaft or hydro deck drive.
Make all belts a standard size so correct replacements can be found in Belt shops, not over priced mower dealers.
Move one of the hydros so can be easier access for when have to release the "nut". For when have to push the machine. Access to that release valve sucks!
Also, the hydro filter is a pita to get to!
Hyrdo sorted for more power to the blades. Take some speed off if needed. ATV hydros sound like the go for this!
Rollers on the back of the machine are to low and hit ALL the time, can hang you up on the most basic of dips. Even getting it off the trailer they always hit. They need to be 2" higher, perhaps the whole back of the frame needs to be higher.
The foot deck raiser thing needs to be longer and or bent so its easier to get with the foot.
A nice, not over sized folding rops.
Needs a storage compartment or tool box.
6 Tie downs. 3 front and back.
Deck easier to level.
Take sharp edges (top trim side) off the deck as that is where the paint is peeling.
Use standard size bolts on everything! Scalp wheel bolts for example.
MUCH easier access to the hydro cooler on the spoiler. Cant believe to have to disassemble the whole thing to blow it off! May be easy but still, what a drama!
Access to the hydro drive belt is a pita when in the field. Can be extremely dangerous changing one out! Not sure how that could be fixed though!
I would like to see larger tires on the machine and smooth front casters.
12v plug as standard. I had one fitted when I bought mine. Comes in handy for blowing up flats, lights etc.
Mud guards. This may sound silly but Ive had mud and dog sh!t flick up on me. Might keep the machine cleaner.
A lifting "thing" for the front end for changine blades. I know its easy to drive up a ramp etc but still, its not much to ask. One for the rear too to get out of a bog. Lift up, place mesh under and drive out. Simple! lol

I understand some of your wishes. Others just don't intrest me, and some would prevent me from buying one.

26x12-12 rear tires and 15" fronts would really improve a lot of things. One being it seems that this mower is designed to mow LOW cut heights. At full transport height, my PTO belt rubs the hydro belt. This would also solve clearance problems, and wheelie bar interferance. Smooth front casters would be GREAT!

This would allow the use of larger wheel motors and still have almost 15mph. May make things seem more powerfull, and will definately give a better smoother ride.

Hydro cooler has been fine. Though, from feeling the heat it produces, maybe a bigger one would be better? Havn't had any clogging issues.

I just lost an anti-scalp wheel today. Ran over it. Bolt sheared at the nut. If they made them like eXmark does, this and them bending wouldn't be a problem.

The Yanmar V-2 diesel is a POS. I doubt we'll be seeing a higher hp v-twin diesel anytime soon.

Deck wise....I'd prefer the old one at this point. Not much good for my conditions.

Tie downs...I dont chain it down, I use a strap. May eventually go with a Pro-Locker.

Just say NO to ROPS....please!
__________________
TLS
2004 GMC 2500HD Reg Cab BOSS 9.2 V-Plow
2013 eXmark LazerZ X-Series 60" 34hp EFI (RED) Kohler
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 09-06-2006, 10:06 PM
TLS's Avatar
TLS TLS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: N&W Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 7,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws
Would a drive shaft be better or worse, if you were trying to put that much power to the blades what would you suggest. I am thinking like you I believe it would melt the belt configuration they have now.
Belts would work just fine. Shafts get loose, and are at least 3 extra grease fittings to service, and when the slip spline gets loose, they can do a lot of damage.

For higher hp, they would need more belt wrap and larger diameter pulleys all around. DC's fan cooled spindles are a good idea. They would have to go with a more robust belt as well.

As far as hydro driven decks....for small ZTR's, it would be a LOT of extra things to go wrong. Not to mention the coolers and extra weight of the fluid and it's resivoir.


But first, they need a deck that can cut good.
__________________
TLS
2004 GMC 2500HD Reg Cab BOSS 9.2 V-Plow
2013 eXmark LazerZ X-Series 60" 34hp EFI (RED) Kohler
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 09-06-2006, 10:17 PM
Envy Lawn Service's Avatar
Envy Lawn Service Envy Lawn Service is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws
Would a drive shaft be better or worse, if you were trying to put that much power to the blades what would you suggest. I am thinking like you I believe it would melt the belt configuration they have now.
Me.... I like the vertical shaft engine setup for gas engines.
So I like belts for that... and it would be hard to shaft drive that configuration.

Shafts do make sense on horizontal powered mowers though.
But for gas, I still like the vertical shaft and belts.
Simplier, lighter and cheaper to keep up with.
Plus it's not really like you can avoid the belts completely anyways without major expense.

I am almost certain that kind of power would slip belts on that fast of a mower with that much power to the blades and Hustler's current routing. SPECIFICALLY it would smoke them on the center spindle. To see what I'm saying, all you need to do is take a look at the lack of 'belt wrap' on that pulley. I think it would slip right there pretty easily when worked hard.

The belt routing could be upgraded to handle it quite easily though.
__________________
ENVY



"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 09-06-2006, 10:24 PM
TLS's Avatar
TLS TLS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: N&W Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 7,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy Lawn Service

I am almost certain that kind of power would slip belts on that fast of a mower with that much power to the blades and Hustler's current routing. SPECIFICALLY it would smoke them on the center spindle. To see what I'm saying, all you need to do is take a look at the lack of 'belt wrap' on that pulley. I think it would slip right there pretty easily when worked hard.
The 60" is the only XR-7 deck to have an idler pulley on both sides of the center spindle pulley. The 54, 66, 72 only have one between the trim side and center.
__________________
TLS
2004 GMC 2500HD Reg Cab BOSS 9.2 V-Plow
2013 eXmark LazerZ X-Series 60" 34hp EFI (RED) Kohler
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:24 PM.

Page generated in 0.13493 seconds with 7 queries