Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-03-2006, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hydro oil question

I changed the hydro oil in my machine last night and found a white, sticky residue like very light white lithium grease in the cap and around the fill hole. I'm figuring that what ever it is came from the oil, maybe it may have foamed up and left the residue around the top of the tank. Does anybody have any idea or experience with this? My first thought was water in the oil (15W-40 for this machines hydro) but I can't see how it would get into the system.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sound like water brother, but if the rest of the oil is not milky color, that's a good sign. There is a breather somewhere on every oil tank (for the most part,... there are pressurized systems) to allow for expansion when the oil gets hot, as it cools it sucks air in the breather and may have had a few drops of water sucked in, especially if your equip. is exposed to rain while cooling down.

The ONLY thing I can think of is, if this is a brand new mower and there is an o-ring around the dip stick/filler cap that may have had lithium grease applied.

Do I get to technical with questions like this.... you know, my wife would have been rolling her eyes at me by now!

UltraVac bagger
2004 6 X 12 Emerson open trailer
22" Toro self propelled w.b.
2 x Echo trimers
Echo edger
Echo Blower
Echo hedge trimmer
Kawasaki hedge trimmer

"The bitterness of cheap quality lasts long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten"
Old 09-03-2006, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would quess its moisture, either from sweating or just the moisture in the air

wayne

Old 09-03-2006, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWest
Sound like water brother, but if the rest of the oil is not milky color, that's a good sign. There is a breather somewhere on every oil tank (for the most part,... there are pressurized systems) to allow for expansion when the oil gets hot, as it cools it sucks air in the breather and may have had a few drops of water sucked in, especially if your equip. is exposed to rain while cooling down.

The ONLY thing I can think of is, if this is a brand new mower and there is an o-ring around the dip stick/filler cap that may have had lithium grease applied.

Do I get to technical with questions like this.... you know, my wife would have been rolling her eyes at me by now!
I think that you may have hit the nail on the head! I washed the machine the other day. I really don't think that the water would have gotten into the tank normally, but it could have been pulled in through the vent hole in the cap. I had just gotten done mowing with it for the day, and it had only sat long enough for the motor to cool down, but probably the oil was still a little warm. It was on the trailer when I cleaned it and had to be driven off to put it in the garage. I noticed this film after another long day of use.

Thankfully, the rest of the oil didn't have any kind of film or anything in it. It probably only pulled in a very small amount, and kind of boiled it out the next time I used it.

Code:
technical is easier to understand in my opinion, and it was exactly what I was hoping someone would respond with.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That was probably it! Like I said, if ALL THE OIL isn't milky it should be no problem. If there is enough water in the oil, it can cause the Hyd. pump to wear VERY quickly and possibly sieze! Bad for the hydro drives too!

UltraVac bagger
2004 6 X 12 Emerson open trailer
22" Toro self propelled w.b.
2 x Echo trimers
Echo edger
Echo Blower
Echo hedge trimmer
Kawasaki hedge trimmer

"The bitterness of cheap quality lasts long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten"
Old 09-03-2006, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Keep a eye not to worry if its like you said we change the hydro's every year .