Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-05-2006, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Those that are in this business and in school...

So this last year I have grown substantially in account number in the lawns and the snowplowing accounts. My phone is ringing off the hook now and I am scheduling more and more work. Now I am a Junior in high school and I am just sick of this school nonsense. I make more money than my teachers do and I hardly work the hours that they work. My grades are at the lowest point they have been at mainly because I just don't care about the school work. They aren't terribly low, I am probably right around a 3.0-3.2 gpa down from 3.6 but I can't seem to focus on the school work.

To those of us that are that are bigger still in high school, how has your school been going with the business?
Old 12-05-2006, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, school sucks. I want to do good though because you never know if the business could fall through and you need to change your career. Don't even consider anything silly like dropping out I am a senior and I gurantee I hate school more than you I just wish we could learn more useful things. I took calculus this year. You will NEVER use this stuff in your lifetime. Crazy hard and useless.

It sounds like you are bigger than me though. I only have 22 or so accounts. Plenty enough to keep me busy solo.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you have a 3.0-3.2 stop complaining when your grades are F's and INC's then you can complain

last 2 years of HS will be the best years of your life no $$ is worth it... college is another thing

STOP TAKING MORE WORK....... once you reach college you can expand a little more because you can change the schedule to whatever you need and at that point if you hate school then drop out and see what happens

^^ I drive a 55k daily driver and a 5k work truck while every other lco owner is the opposite and would rather drive an f550 as an everyday car

Work like a slave eat like a king
Old 12-05-2006, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Austin, you're kicking ass in this biz. Right now I'm working towards an FFA SAE award in agri-entrepreneurship of turfgrass management and I hope to go to college in the field of turfgrass mgt. I'm maintaing a 4.0, but it's getting tougher as we go. I'd like to get more hands-on experience in school, but it seems like everything we do is straight out of the book. I've found something that I enjoy doing and would like to expand upon my work, but other people expectations are to maintain a 4.0. Personally, I feel that you, Austin, are far beyond any LCO in my city and I consider you to work at a professional level, whether you've got a 3rd grade education or not. My take on your situation is to just enjoy the rest of HS and work towards graduation-in hopes to make the best of it, make friends for life, and do what you love to do as much as you can. JMHO

Last edited by nmez21; 12-05-2006 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well don't quite school. because if your lawn mowing and plowing goes south. You are going to need your highschool degree.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALarsh
So this last year I have grown substantially in account number in the lawns and the snowplowing accounts. My phone is ringing off the hook now and I am scheduling more and more work. Now I am a Junior in high school and I am just sick of this school nonsense. I make more money than my teachers do and I hardly work the hours that they work. My grades are at the lowest point they have been at mainly because I just don't care about the school work. They aren't terribly low, I am probably right around a 3.0-3.2 gpa down from 3.6 but I can't seem to focus on the school work.

To those of us that are that are bigger still in high school, how has your school been going with the business?
As a former All-ACC football player and a college graduate I wanted to just drop you guys a note of encouragement and admiration. Continue working hard on your school work as you continue to experience success in your business ventures. Your ability to maintain focus on both school and work while maintaining your performance at its best levels will enable you to grow as a business owner in future years when your company grows to the point of having employees, managers, and even possibly multiple business ventures. It will make you stronger.

I admire your work ethic for not many young people have the inner drive that it appears you guys have. Challenge yourselves to maintain or even raise your gpa through the remainder of your schooling. I look back and sometimes regret having backed out of AP classes because I knew I would be accepted to the school that I chose to sign with to play football. Good luck guys!!
Old 12-05-2006, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i totally agree with you on the school thing but i've always thought about this too. what if sometime in your life you become injured and not able to meet the physical demands this business has? im not saying i like school at all but maybe think of something else along the lines of lawncare that you may be interested in that is not as physical. just my 2 cents
Old 12-05-2006, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a sophomore in high school as of now. this is my 2nd year mowing lawns, this year i just got serious about it. i have 7 customers and i am hoping for 20 next year. i also cant stand school. as long as i have a 3.0 or better i can drive and maintain my business. school is my first priority because a bad grades = no lawn mowing and then i have to start overwhich isn't happening. now i only mow in my neiborhood but next year its a trailer and il be all over town.
Use Vista print click here http://www.vistaprint.com/frf?frf=638256053415

2004 Ford F-250
Toro Z558 60"/28hp
Quick 36 Super Duty
Cub Cadet 50"/22hp (operational)
Toro Personal Pace 22''
toro string trimmer
Redmax bp blower EB7001 & EBZ8001

Shindaiwa / Echo handhealds
18hp billy goat leaf loader with swing hitch for sale make offer
Old 12-05-2006, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm a senior in high school this year, I have enough work after school to stress me out but everyone has always told me you need your education. If your ever injured your screwed. I've taken every graphic design course my school offers as well as web design courses, mainly because i like to do that kind of stuff but also if i got hurt i have all the necessary tools to go back to school or even get a job right away. I sucks to have to think that way but it can happen. Also enjoy everything you can while it's there. I'm a Massachusetts State All Star in baseball and i thought of quitting last year to get more work just because of the mighty old $. Then I thought about much i love baseball and how it's gone after high school. The thing i love to do is gone and to give up a couple years to make some more money was a stupid thought to me. I guess what i'm trying to say is don't quit school, if lawn mowing is what your passion is after school then do that. But if your giving up something you love to do because of lawn mowing to make more money, maybe take a second look at what it is you would really like to be doing.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdlawnCo
I'm a Massachusetts State All Star in baseball ....... Then I thought about much i love baseball and how it's gone after high school.

Doesn't it depend on how good you are and if you are offered a scholarship to play college ball as to if it's gone after high school or not?