Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-03-2006, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowingtowing
I looked a little closer at VA's DPOR site and the application for a Class C license. Looks like you're right. You need the license to do landscape work over $1,000 (doesn't matter if you are a corporation or a sole proprietorship or partnership, etc). And you do need 2 years of experience. Looks like your only option is to not do any jobs over $1,000 for the next two years. Then you can apply for the license when you have references.

Why do you want to incorporate when your business is so new? It may not be cost efficient for you right now. It puts you under a whole other mess of regulations.
I guess I will just break the law, and do the jobs. I'm certainly not going to turn them down. To answer your question, I wanted to be INC. to protect the name and logo and such. I don't want to paint a truck and then have to change the name. But, it looks like I will just be a sole proprietorship for a while for some of the reasons that you stated. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Actually horizon you don't need Workman's Comp in VA if it's just one employee...once you have 3 total (including you) you have to carry it...although not a bad idea to carry it for your one guy anyway.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horizonmowing
Hey everyone. I need your help. I'm 17, going to be 18 in about a week. I have been mowing 10-14 accounts all season, mulching, tree work...ect. I have roughly 10-12 grand invested in the company ie- truck, debris loader, blowers, mowers, trailer ect. The company has a trade name (under my dad) but will soon be under my name. I know that I need to start paying taxes on this money (that is only fair) and I am going to have an employee, so the insurance will have to be set up to cover Virginia workers comp. What I am trying to say is that I really want to become a cooperation... BUT, the state of Virginia is telling me that I need to have a class C contractors license if i do $1000 worth or work and a given address over the course of a year. "No problem" I think to my self, "I'll just go get a class C license." WRONG... now they tell me that I need to have two years of experience with another company to get this class C license. Well, I cant do that!!!! I really don't want to work for someone else, that is why I am starting a company. Any way, are most of you guys out there sole proprietorships, or cooperation's; and is there anyway to get around this class C license problem that I am having. Also, if i do a mulch job for a Grand (not hard to do) and I am a sole proprietorship, am i braking the law? THANK YOU... PLEASE HELP
you say the trade name is under your dad and also that you want to start paying taxes im a little confused there have you guys not been paying taxes
Old 09-04-2006, 03:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulano
I thought that was funny when the title of the thread is "I just want to be legal!!! "

only you could see the humour in that .......why........because you are a funny guy
Old 09-04-2006, 03:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Hey everyone. I need your help. I'm 17, going to be 18 in about a week. I have been mowing 10-14 accounts all season, mulching, tree work...ect. I have roughly 10-12 grand invested in the company ie- truck, debris loader, blowers, mowers, trailer ect. The company has a trade name (under my dad) but will soon be under my name. I know that I need to start paying taxes on this money (that is only fair) and I am going to have an employee, so the insurance will have to be set up to cover Virginia workers comp. What I am trying to say is that I really want to become a cooperation... BUT, the state of Virginia is telling me that I need to have a class C contractors license if i do $1000 worth or work and a given address over the course of a year. "No problem" I think to my self, "I'll just go get a class C license." WRONG... now they tell me that I need to have two years of experience with another company to get this class C license. Well, I cant do that!!!! I really don't want to work for someone else, that is why I am starting a company. Any way, are most of you guys out there sole proprietorships, or cooperation's; and is there anyway to get around this class C license problem that I am having. Also, if i do a mulch job for a Grand (not hard to do) and I am a sole proprietorship, am i braking the law? THANK YOU... PLEASE HELP

firstly let me say i dont know much about the laws in your area but let me say i commend you on your intention .you are obviously a man of good character and wish you all the best with your developing business
Old 09-04-2006, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, I haven't paid any taxes as of yet. I really haven't made that much money and anything I have made has been used to buy equipment for this fall. However, this fall I expect to make more then I have all spring and summer. This is partly because this is my senior year in high school, but I have managed to get out at 10:10 every day. Now that I have so much more time, the income will increase dramatically. And yes, I will pay taxes.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOLIE
Actually horizon you don't need Workman's Comp in VA if it's just one employee...once you have 3 total (including you) you have to carry it...although not a bad idea to carry it for your one guy anyway.
Ok, I know absolutely NOTHING about workers Comp. I will have my insurance set up with a private insurance agency, so will that completely cover my one employee? My one employee will work around 30-40hrs per week. But what do I do on Sat. If I want to run a 3 or 4 man crew. If some people are just working 8 hrs a week I don't want to pay full insurance for them. Like I said, I know nothing. THANKS!
Old 09-04-2006, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Beware, this is what the IRS's site says about paying taxes for those who are self employed:

You must pay SE tax and file Schedule SE (Form 1040) if either of the following applies.

* Your net earnings from self-employment (excluding church employee income ) were $400 or more.
* You had church employee income of $108.28 or more.

Double check that you aren't supposed to be paying taxes now...

Regarding workers comp--when you get liability and property insurance with a private company, ask them about workers comp. They should know VA state law.

www.mowingtowing.com
Old 09-04-2006, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
.... This is partly because this is my senior year in high school, but I have managed to get out at 10:10 every day.
If I was a taxpayer in your district, paying school taxes, I would ask for part of my money back! And, we wonder why so many high school seniors are unable to read, write, do math, or pass exit exams. I'm not suggesting this is your case, but any district who uses a small portion of the school day for teaching their students ought to be taken to task. They are hardly doing their job, and are wasting taxpayer's money. Senior year, or not, the school district has a job to do when asking for tax money.

Landscaping at your age can wait -- this is the time for education!

I know you aren't paying taxes ... but, when you do, and it takes a big bite from your income, you too will wonder why students are out on the street by mid-morning.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Ok, I know absolutely NOTHING about workers Comp. I will have my insurance set up with a private insurance agency, so will that completely cover my one employee? My one employee will work around 30-40hrs per week. But what do I do on Sat. If I want to run a 3 or 4 man crew. If some people are just working 8 hrs a week I don't want to pay full insurance for them. Like I said, I know nothing. THANKS!
No your employee is not covered by W Comp, it's just that you are not required to carry it until you have 3 total employees...if you have an employee you would still want to look into W Comp. Your insurance agent should be able to give you the rates and get you set up. The amount you would pay would be a percentage of the estimated payroll for the year.