Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-05-2006, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurfdudeNCSU
We accept them.. Probably 5% of our sales are paid with them so we don't do a whole lot, but we have signed some jobs just because we accept them. And we have a few maintenance accounts where we swipe the first day of the month. We have a portable machine that I can use in my truck or even in the customers house. We pay an average of 1.8% on all charges. However, It is illegal to charge a customer back the fee that you are charged.
Check where you live about it being Illegal or not. Even our DMV charges the fee plus extra. Say it cost 15.00 dollars for your license you pay with a credit card it will cost $20.00. So not it is not Illegal here most small businesses charge a fee here.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunn's lawn service
Check where you live about it being Illegal or not. Even our DMV charges the fee plus extra. Say it cost 15.00 dollars for your license you pay with a credit card it will cost $20.00. So not it is not Illegal here most small businesses charge a fee here.
I don't know if it's necessary illegal to do so, BUT generally the merchant services companies stipulate when you sign up with them that you will not charge extra for CC transactions. At least with my service, they also say you cannot set a minimum transaction charge or charge your own CC (to get your own credit converted to cash)

Think about the differences between retail and service businesses...a retailer always gets paid at time of sale...for them, CC transaction fees can really add up. They're going to get paid anyway so many of them prefer cash. For a service business like ours, typically not practical to arrange payment at time of service, so any advantage you can use to get paid promptly is great. Charging more for CC's defeats the purpose, and honestly why bother as most clients wouldn't be interested anyway.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

befre you invest any $$$$ you can set up a business account with Paypal, no upfront fee's if I rememebr correctly. then people can way with CC or direct bank transfer..... just some food for thought...
Old 09-05-2006, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you don't want the expense just yet you can also set up an account using Paypal, I have a few people that use that to pay their bills and they love it and I charge a transaction Fee to cover the costs for using their service. You can also put a link in e-mails that when they click it, it will automatically take them to a pay the bill page. Just another thought to think about...
Old 09-05-2006, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I never took cards and I do not know if it is needed but if you have it it can only help.
I see a few answers about taking the reader in the truck or check at the door. How can you stay on schedule. I would never make a pratice of getting pay at time of service. I only bill with invoice and the payment must be paid with check by mail.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMLAWN
I never took cards and I do not know if it is needed but if you have it it can only help.
I see a few answers about taking the reader in the truck or check at the door. How can you stay on schedule. I would never make a pratice of getting pay at time of service. I only bill with invoice and the payment must be paid with check by mail.
Id hate to have to take money at each stop as well....But you go with what works in your area and what you are comfortable with.

I did 12 billings, one each month, and I billed at the end of the month for that months service. I offered paypal when it first came out. I had a few people do it, but all in all most of them paid by check at the end of the month...
Old 09-05-2006, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

here's how my clients pay with cc from my web page and they dont need to have a paypal account to use paypal. http://frontierlawn.biz/login.html

------------
Frontier Lawn's Website
-----------

http://www.givemeliberty.org/
Old 09-06-2006, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier-Lawn
here's how my clients pay with cc from my web page and they dont need to have a paypal account to use paypal. http://frontierlawn.biz/login.html

We now offer safe and convenient way to order one time mowing service. Simply click the Pay-Pal button below and The Cost is $40 for a one time cut. Also the property size is limited to no larger than 1/2 Acre & must be in our service area, No refunds will be given if your out of our service area.

$40 for a 1 time cut, without looking at the lawn?
Old 09-06-2006, 06:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie B
$40 for a 1 time cut, without looking at the lawn?
Trust me in Florida for anything less than 1/2 acre as long as its not more than 6" tall thats a fair price.

Frontier, how does your prospective client know if you are in their service area? I guess they could email you first.

Have you though about listing boundries? I know on my webs site I listed that I would not go north of the Bee-line or south of 192 and OBT and John Young Parkway were my east-west boundries

Maybe list the zip codes you service...just an idea
Old 09-06-2006, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

http://frontierlawn.biz/about_us.html
and our add
http://frontierlawn.biz/Adds.html

------------
Frontier Lawn's Website
-----------

http://www.givemeliberty.org/