Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-05-2006, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Best ZTR for $6000 or less

Iíve been shopping for a ZTR and the absolute most I can spend is $6000. What do you recommend? I currently have a Hustler 19/52 Mini Z with a Kawasaki engine. This mower is new and list is $7799.00, but it has an $1800.00 rebate which makes it $5999.00.
I am also testing out a Cub Cadet M48 Tank. It is a loaner from the dealer to his commercial accounts when their mower is in the shop. It has 36 hours on it, and you can definitely tell itís been used. It also has the 19 hp Kawasaki engine for $5000.00. Is 19 hp really enough for a 52Ē ZTR?
Locally we have a dealer for John Deere, Snapper, Kubota, Skag, Bush Hog, Hustler, and a Cub Cadet/Exmark dealer. Are there any other mowers I should consider before making my decision? I will probably buy tomorrow, but could put it off for a few days to make sure I get the best mower for the money. Once again, my ABSOLUTE max is $6000. I have been reading this site a lot trying to make a decision, but would appreciate any suggestions you could offer. Thanks in advance for all your help.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I say go with the Cub Tank!!! You will love it and will save money!!! We have 3 of them. 60's and 72

fluid film- the official sponser of sflqpru
Old 09-05-2006, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A few for you to check out Dixie Chopper, Everide, Encore Extreme and scag.
another one to check out would be country clipper.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green King
A few for you to check out Dixie Chopper, Everide, Encore Extreme and scag.
another one to check out would be country clipper.
I appreciate the suggestions, but of the 4 brands you suggested, we only have a Scag dealer locally. I talked to them last weekend, and they are HIGH. I just called another Scag dealer 50 miles from here, and he has a 24 hp Briggs and Stratton 48" Scag for $5999. He also has a 19/48" Cub demo with 9 hours for $4995, or one just like it brand new for $5599. Both have Kawasaki engines. Are B&S engines as good as a Kawasaki?
Just when I thought I had it narrowed down to 2 mowers, now I have several to choose from. I'm getting so confused!
Old 09-05-2006, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkbow
I appreciate the suggestions, but of the 4 brands you suggested, we only have a Scag dealer locally. I talked to them last weekend, and they are HIGH. I just called another Scag dealer 50 miles from here, and he has a 24 hp Briggs and Stratton 48" Scag for $5999. He also has a 19/48" Cub demo with 9 hours for $4995, or one just like it brand new for $5599. Both have Kawasaki engines. Are B&S engines as good as a Kawasaki?
Just when I thought I had it narrowed down to 2 mowers, now I have several to choose from. I'm getting so confused!
Kawi Engines are way better than briggs in my opinion. A kawi will outlast any briggs. Also a kawi will perform better than a briggs. I would that demo unit if I was you if it is in good condition.
Just my 0.2
Old 09-05-2006, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro36
Kawi Engines are way better than briggs in my opinion. A kawi will outlast any briggs. Also a kawi will perform better than a briggs. I would that demo unit if I was you if it is in good condition.
Just my 0.2
I agree 100% say no to Briggs
Old 09-05-2006, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dixon

Kodiak or Grizzly are right in that price range. One of our big mowing companies has a Grizz with 600 or so trouble free hours on it. Pulls the deck in the winter and hangs a blade on it for snow plow work.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro36
Just my 0.2
Are you saying you would buy the demo Cub Cadet Tank at $5000 and 36 very rough "loaner" hours over the new Hustler for $6000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotts' Yard Care
Kodiak or Grizzly are right in that price range. One of our big mowing companies has a Grizz with 600 or so trouble free hours on it. Pulls the deck in the winter and hangs a blade on it for snow plow work.
The closest Dixon dealer is 45 miles away, in a direction I never travel. I really don't want to drive that far for service.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I just noticed I wasn't clear in my first post, I am TESTING the Hustler 19/52 Mini-Z. I am trying to decide between it and the Cub Cadet Tank that I am also testing today.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkbow
I just noticed I wasn't clear in my first post, I am TESTING the Hustler 19/52 Mini-Z. I am trying to decide between it and the Cub Cadet Tank that I am also testing today.
Me personally, I would very likely buy the Tank for $5K and put the rest away.

What is a new mower going to look like after a week or two anyways?
Scratched, scuffed and dirty.

But I would not buy any demo that's beat up (bent and so forth).

I like Hustler as good as any, but the Mini Z's just do not cut and perform that well. The deck is too shallow and restricted.... and 19hp is NOT enough for a 52". I recommend 23hp minimum for a 52".

Also, don't let these boys scare you away from that Scag with the 24hp Briggs. It's an awesome engine... and with the 2006 promo price, even if it wasn't and it died the day after warranty went out, you saved enough on the original purchase to be able to repower with anything you like.

If I were going to buy a 48" Scag today, there is no question in my mind I'd get the 24hp Briggs. They are a great, powerful and fuel efficient engine. They'll walk all over a similar Kawasaki.... and there's just no comparison between the 19hp Kawi and the 24hp Briggs... not even in the same ballpark in the real world.

I've talked several people into the Briggs powered Scag unit this year, and not a one of them has returned to complain about their decision... and believe me, it would be spread all over here if they were unhappy...

If the Tank is beat up, and you can't get a 2006 M-48 with the 23hp Kawasaki for $5,999... heck, go buy that Scag. At least demo one. I know I can't get a 48" Ztwo (same as TANK) for $5,999... and as much as I love the Ztwo's... I would at least demo the Scag myself if I had a good dealer and was in the market for another compact ZTR.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"