Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-21-2006, 06:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Pricing/ Equipment Question

I have been managing this commercial property since the beginning of the season. I was notified the other day that there is an area that was being neglected. When I arrived on site yesterday the manager pointed out this section that the landlord was talking about. This particular area was not included in the initial bid but has grown way out of control. The total area was 1350 sq. ft with weeds that stood over 4ft tall. My question is what kind of equipment should I use and how much should I charge? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't really see where you have any grounds to stand on as far as charging them. I am assuming you were supposed to be maintaining this area the entire time and you missed it in your bid? As far as equiptment goes is it a mulch bed with flowers and such or just grass? I have to assume that it is a mulch bed because if it was just grass i'm sure you would just mow it. For an overgrown bed I havn't really come across anything that works as well as rosie palm and her 5 friends. or if the bed is in that bad of shape and you think it would be quicker and cheaper just clear out the whole thing and replant it.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. The company is renting this facility from someone and when I came out to do the original estimate the manager didn't even know that was a part of the property. The weeds aren't in a bed. The way the property is designed is really weird. There is a fence which in most cases borders the property. Well on the other side of the fence there there is a section that's about 10 ft wide and 35ft in length.(covered with weeds) On the other side of that is another fence which actually is the boundary.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about recuping your costs, but you can try. (May lose the account though.) I'm confused. You said 1350 sq.ft. right? Then you said something about a strip 10'x30' covered with weeds. Either way I don't think it would be a big deal with a brush cutter or even an old fashioned sickel. Cut it rough, rake it and get the mower on it. If I'm missing something I'm sorry, but I don't see a big problem with the work.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Rent a Billygoat outback bushcutter it will take it down.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As long as the ground is fairly smooth and free of glass bottle, etc.; I'd knock it down with the ZTR at top height, clean up the mess, and then mow it at proper height.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SproulsMowingService
As long as the ground is fairly smooth and free of glass bottle, etc.; I'd knock it down with the ZTR at top height, clean up the mess, and then mow it at proper height.
Same here, do it all the time as long as there is no debris, rocks and crap.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks

Thanks for all of the responses I really appreciate it. I will just rent the bush cutter and get the job done. Don't want to risk loosing the customer as mentioned by one of the members. Once again thanks for the replies.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess
Rent a Billygoat outback bushcutter it will take it down.
I agree.....you can rent one for cheap....around here about $50 bucks for the day. I have used one and it is actually kind of fun to use. I liked it so much I have thought about buying one. Not that I really need one....but I could find ways to use it if I owned one!

Lawn care in Pensacola, Florida.