Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-05-2006, 02:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

City Mowing

I was talking to a guy and he said that his friend does mowing for the city, he mows lots for excessive amounts of money because they are waist high and he charges everything to the city. I was wondering how do you get into government contracted mowing like highways and city lots?
Old 09-05-2006, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Go to the city and county websites and find their purchasing department. Then get on their bidders list for that type of work. It is very easy to do, but you need to have the right insurance.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We do mowing for our township once in awhile. It's not great pay and there are usually problems. Once my wife went to mow a vacant property and the lot owner was there with a drunken buddy. He gave her a bit of crap until she said we just get a call to mow we know nothing and to call the township if he had a problem. He had a little rider and said he would cut his own grass. She got back into the van and drove away. Funny thing was the lawn was only about 8" long and it turns out the guy is going through a divorce and the ex called the Township to mow.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I live in right on the border of Allen/Auglaize county, Lima is in Allen, and I found a place for all the current open bids on their website

http://www.allencountyohio.com/legal.php

but I never found a website for Auglzaize county.

Anyhow, what kind of insurance do I need and that type of thing, and where do I find when the bids are availiable and that type of thing. I am interested in ditch and residential mowing for the city/county but I don't know where to find it.. I have the man power and equipment to do the high residentials, but for ditches I don't have any equipment but could have the money to buy it by next spring.