Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-06-2006, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Member

How do you get the most out of your spray rig?

I am looking to add a 100 gal Lesco spray rig to my business. Up until now I have only used granular products with a rotary spreader and herbicides with backpack sprayers. I can get a used rig at a price too good to pass up. I am trying to figure out if it will make my job easier, more money and add more possibilities. I currently have about 40 residential lawns ranging from 5-20,000 Sq. Ft. that are on a fert. program. I also hydroseed close to 100 residential lawns a year.

I am looking for any feedback on how I can get the most out of this machine if I buy it. Any recipes you can share for cool season lawns will help. I do have my applicators license.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroRI
I am looking to add a 100 gal Lesco spray rig to my business. Up until now I have only used granular products with a rotary spreader and herbicides with backpack sprayers. I can get a used rig at a price too good to pass up. I am trying to figure out if it will make my job easier, more money and add more possibilities. I currently have about 40 residential lawns ranging from 5-20,000 Sq. Ft. that are on a fert. program. I also hydroseed close to 100 residential lawns a year.

I am looking for any feedback on how I can get the most out of this machine if I buy it. Any recipes you can share for cool season lawns will help. I do have my applicators license.
A lot of things come to mind but more info is needed. Where do you see your business in the next 2-5 years. Maybe you need a PG and could use the spray rig a nurse tank. Or you could just use it to spray broadleaf as needed, it will get better results than a granular post emergent and is alot quicker than a back pack or hand can. What kind of "deal" are we talking about, keep in mind all of the value in a rig is in the engine/motor/reel and hose. A 100 gal tank and frame cost about $300.00.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemars
What kind of "deal" are we talking about, keep in mind all of the value in a rig is in the engine/motor/reel and hose. A 100 gal tank and frame cost about $300.00.
Oh it is a real good deal. Someone who made a career change who wants to free up some space in his garage would be willing to take $500.00. Well maintained runs great with Honda Engine, Hose reel, guns and whatever else needed for working condition.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you can get that for $500, don't pass it up, whether you use it or not. You can't get hurt.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Oh it is a real good deal. Someone who made a career change who wants to free up some space in his garage would be willing to take $500.00. Well maintained runs great with Honda Engine, Hose reel, guns and whatever else needed for working condition.
That is a good deal, a new one is over $2500.00. For $500.00 you can hardly go wrong, the honda will run for longer than you if you do some minimum maintenance. To be on the safe side you might want to buy a 1 l.b. jar of Lesco-sol and flush it out before spraying any turf, and do it about 3 times if you want to spray T&S.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Member

How difficult is it to learn how to use? I have no experience with a chemlawn gun. I know how to calibrate a granular spreader and backpack sprayer but never used a rig like this before.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
How difficult is it to learn how to use? I have no experience with a chemlawn gun. I know how to calibrate a granular spreader and backpack sprayer but never used a rig like this before.
Not to hard, Lesco can probably help with calibration. Basically you need to do a bucket check to to determine how many gpm you are spraying and then mix accordingly. You have more margin for error when turf is not stressed and temps are between 60 and 85 degrees, be careful otherwise.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought the same used 100 gallon sprayer last year for $1300. It has been in my truck ever since. Primarily it is used for blanket post/pre applications and fungicides. Sometimes I do some liquid fert as well. If you spray at 2 gallons per M, you can spray over an acre out of a full tank.

After you buy the unit, practice spraying at home with water until you learn the method and how to calibrate.

Even though I use a Permagreen for the majority of my work, the spray tank is still a must have. I also use it to fill the PG with water.