Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-07-2006, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Just Edging Concept

Every time I see a house and the homeowner cuts his/her own lawn, I think that's nice, but the edge (or lack thereof) looks horrible.

Could this be a niche market? Charge by the foot x.xx amount; work it weekly or bi-weekly, sidewalks, driveways, pathways, beds, etc. then clean off with blower.

Let's discuss
Old 09-07-2006, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Edging

I too, have noticed this phenomenon of not edging.
I have also debated starting a buisness (I am) in which my services would be edging, hedge trimming and sculpturing, flower beds, etc. Offer discounts to Seniors and perhaps tree trimming.
The tree trimming would be light pole saw work.
Where are you located?

I think we are on to something.
Erich
Old 09-07-2006, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I am located in Central NJ. If you think about it, most people that mow for themselves do a fine job, but without the neat clean edge, it still looks like #$(*&$^
Old 09-07-2006, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lots have people have thought about this over the years I am sure. But what your not seing is the reason their edging looks like s#!t is because 1. they don't care 2. To cheap to buy a electric weedaeater or edger. 3. To cheap to pay someone else to do it. We offer edging as a Seperate service and have had a few calls for it and a few have excepted it but don't call back for a second time.Well if you consider a second as the next year than they do call back. They ussauly only want to pay like $5 dollars which yes I understand yes that ould be around forty dollars an hour but there is gas,drive time edging and cleanup. You won't be able to just blow it of because it will be overgrown so there will be alot of mess to sweep up. I know what about the ones that don't have much overgrowth, Simple they won't pay for edging till it is overgrown. Same thing as total lawncare except they might be even more of cheap4ss3s or PITA's. Just our .02 cents woth take it or leave it.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i charge $.65 to $1.00 per ft. a new job i try for $1 and .60 -.75 to maintain
Old 09-07-2006, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

This has crossed my mind as well. I see a lot of lawns which are mowed regularly, but the edge is not touched, resulting in serious overgrowth.

Problem is, if they don't care enough to keep a clean edge on their property, they most likely aren't going to pay someone to do it.

And if you're dealing with 2-4 inches of overgrowth, you have to charge for your time to remove and dispose of the sod. I've done several of these and it's time consuming. The price(one that would make any kind of decent profit) would probably turn most people away.

Originally posted by SLR:
Quote:
you really got off fortunate and lucky 5-0boy1!..imagine if you an her created a little 5boy1,now there's a nicely entangled chaotic toranado vise!
THE VERY BEST SOURCE OF INFO FOR THE GREEN INDUSTRY! ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED!
Old 09-07-2006, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i include edging in my price but tell everyone its free. the only thing worse than not edging is trimming at a 45 degree angle i hate that more than anything.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bo it for about 3 customers near my house. Charge $20 once a month the weedwack.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazak
I bo it for about 3 customers near my house. Charge $20 once a month the weedwack.
I live in Lincroft and mow my own lawn, and I would gladly pay someone this much to weedwack the edging. And I agree that once a month is enough. I don't think that trimming along the curb, the walkway to the house, the driveway, and around the patio is needed every week. If there are any LCOs nearby that are interested in taking this on, please send me a PM. We might also talk about you mowing a couple of hills for me that I would rather stay off of with lawn-mowing equipment.

Larry
Old 09-27-2006, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think you are going to run into not being about to charge enough. Don't forget you have to drive there. If it is on your route and convenient maybe you can make it work. The would you schedual your trimming/edging around when they cut their grass. sounds like it may be a pain to deal with.