Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-07-2006, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Dumped my TTHP WB in River--Need Portable Winch Set-up

I did a search & saw a couple folks talking about "Warn" winches. Do you folks have any idea on how to set up a totally portable winch system. I guess I would need a battery too, or is there a gas powered motorized product. Probably need to lash the system, to a tree or something.

Story: I was mowing down a path to narrow river that passes behind my customers house,. At the bottom is a 20x10' grassy area with a bench. I ran the mower a little too close to the edge and the ground gave way & the Wb nose dived into the drink. Luckily it was shallow and the mower was just sitting there with the deck and above exposed. I went to V.I.P/NAPA & got some straps, ratchet strap,-- hooked to a tree but ractchet strap kept filling up, so I'd have to pull it out a bit then release it, and start over. Well on one of those maneuvers the WB fell back in. So then I went & rounded up a couple guys from another lawn outfit & we muscled it out.

I was bummed 'cause I had a come-a-long, again, from the auto parts store, but it was truly a cheap piece of crappola. Where does one get a decent, (not made in Taiwan) come-a-long. This is the 3rd time this season I've been in need of getting out of being stuck. I'm ready to spend some cash to set myself up to be self sufficient for any other unforeseen mishap.

Any ideas you can share would be appreciated

hillndale
Old 09-07-2006, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would check northern tool or call a local freight company and see if you can buy one or if they can direct you to a company that sells them.
2011 8x16 Pace Summit trailer
2010 Exmark TTHP 17/48
04 Exmark Viking 32"
96 Exmark Metro 36"
Echo, Redmax, and Shindaiwa handhelds. Husky chain saws.
2010 F-350 4x4 6.4 PSD w/ 8' Western plow.
1997 F-250 4x4 7.3 PSD
2004 Bobcat 61" 25hp ZTR for sale. 1100 hours, Under 10 hours on a TOTAL DECK REBUILD! PM for details
Old 09-07-2006, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Id say goto a 4x4 truck shop. They will all be 12v systems. Then you can make some kind of mount for attatching it to a tree or pole. Also keep a spare well charged battery around for it as well. Also get some chain to hook it to your mower if needed when you get stuck again. Hope this helps

6 Years on Lawnsite
Old 09-07-2006, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There is actually a portable warn winch now sold for carrying on a snowmobile or ATV, its supposed to be really small and compact... not sure of the power source, but it looked pretty cool when I saw it in a magazine. I'd do a google of WARN winches, or check with your local snowmobile dealer.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

At any "Private" auto parts store where they specialize in Truck parts you should be able to mget a decent come-a-long

Chevy trucks, Exmark Lazers, enclosed trailers.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You might check into something called the "Lewis Winch". It mounts to a chainsaw. http://www.woodlandint.com/products/lewis_winch/

No idea on pricing though... probably pretty expensive.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I welded 2" recievers front and rear on my Gravely 260Z. I then welded a 2" tube to my 2K lb winch mounting plate. Now I can use it on my trailer, either of my trucks or on my big mower. I keep a couple 3" webbed ratchet straps in the truck to get some length and to wrap around trees to pull out with.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

For something like this you really wouldn't *need* a powered wench... A come-along would really do the job, just like the rachet strap did, but 10 or 15 feet at a time. Just remember to switch arms once in a while, so they both get the same workout! lol!

Sounds like you got pretty lucky with the water too, glad to hear it wasn't that deep!
Old 09-08-2006, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Try one of these, rated to 3200#, and always ready to go..... even at the bottom of a staircase in the back yard two speed trailer winch
Come-a-longs are really slow to use and have very limited spool capacity.

Set up a universal mounting system as mentioned by BSDeality.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you would quit going places with your mower that you obviously shouldn't be going, you wouldn't need a winch. It's a mower, not a 4x4. Sure it wouldn't hurt to have a come-a-long with you...just for general purpose. There is a company called Masdaam...or something very similar....they make GREAT come-a-longs. But, quit going mudding with the WB....that's what the Blazer is for!