Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-08-2006, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yellow Pages Advertising

Yesterday I met with a representative from the Bell South Yellow Pages about placing an ad in the Savannah Yellow Pages. a 1" block ad is $91 per month to $152 per month depending on color and shading. Business Card size ad runs about $300 per month. Either way I go, I can get a second listing in Pressure Washing since I am adding this service to my business.

My question is how many of you have placed Yellow Page ads and received really good results that helped your business grow? If you did place an ad and you feel that it helped, please elt me know what size ad you placed.

The rep told me that the companies that place the business card or large size ads compete for 85% of all calls generated from the book, and the other in column ads compete for the remaining 15%. If this is true, than the larger ad pays off, but then I do not want to grow so fast that I cannot handle the work and my full time job until I can get in a finacial position to go Lawn Care Full Time. Yet, if enough calls come quick enough, it may allow me to go full time sooner. Understand what I am saying.

I am just wondering about everyone elses expereince and get details of the size ads you placed and for how much money so that I can get some reassurances about whatever decision I make.

Thanks
Old 09-08-2006, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have nothing to say i just want to see how this goes!
Old 09-08-2006, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I pulled my listing out-- the few calls I got were all price shoppers and out of the area I wanted to be in. My $1400 would have been spent better.
But many on here like it
One good side is I sold handyman work to the Rep. Close to $8000.00 worth of home repair, But still not worth the ad.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you live in a big city it may not be worth advertising in that yp book unless you intend to travel. The YP listing will get you more calls than an ad in the newspaper or the internet.
I live in a fairly small area and the phone book will get me calls. I will advertise only incolumn. It costs a lot less about $50 a month total. There is no way I will compete with the big guys who advertise 1/2 page ads but my business name will put me first in the column ads and that will generate some calls. If people are too far away I'll just tell them they are too far away.

I have advertised for several years in the yp and mostly had a little larger ad than a business card size. It worked well and most of the calls for the business came from that.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

First off you need to understand that Yellow Page sales people are just that.....sales people.

The numbers they give you do NOT support the lawn care and landscape industry. They say they will and they do not. Unfortunately, I found all of this out later when I signed a client that did this for a living and they gave me the real scoop.

Prior to this I bought a nice sized ad. It was the size of a dollar bill. I received very poor results. I think I got 3 jobs and maybe 8 calls from it.

It is my experience that people looking for lawn care find service in ways other than looking in the YP.

On the other hand I have heard otherwise from people in other states.

Put the Blades on the Grass and SPIN 'EM brother, SPIN 'EM.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulano

I have advertised for several years in the yp and mostly had a little larger ad than a business card size. It worked well and most of the calls for the business came from that.

Fulano, were you advertising for your lawn business or your other business? Because, I have found that lawn business advertising works alot differently.

Put the Blades on the Grass and SPIN 'EM brother, SPIN 'EM.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

It depends how you want to grow your business. If you don't want or can't handle bigger jobs like commercial accounts the I would'nt waste my money on a bigger ad. We ran a business sized ad and I bet we got a whopping 2 or 3 calls to which none of them paid off. We ended up spending around 1k for the ad. I will never do it again. We just have 2 listings in bold, one under lawn care and one under landscaping. And we spent 366.00 just for that!

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 09-08-2006, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

advertising

The book will get your name out there. I use them all....Yellow Book, Impact...you get the drift.
It is a write off. It works for me. I get enough business to justify the expense. As a bonus, I have gotten my Yellow Book guy as a customer and he gives me referrals within his company.

I traded services for a 1974 Datsun 260Z for reseeding a lawn with my Yellow Book guy. It's the car I wanted for graduation, buy my dad bought me a Mustang II Mach 1 Instead....I never was completly happy with this car...

I will restore this car to the max! Does 135mph with Webers.
Enjoy the ride.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It was another business. However you cannot beat the price on advertising in a small book. For example it may only cost $20-$50 /mo for a name listing incolumn. That is only $600 per yr max. If you get your name to the top of the listings then you will get calls. No one is going to wade through 30+ numbers and call all of them. I'm going to do it for next yr. Maybe I'll send those calls to my cell and the flyers to my home or something so I can keep track.

I had a 260z years ago. It had triple mikuni carbs. It was a fun car until my brother wrecked it.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

in my area there is about 5 different books targeting specific areas. i put an ad out in a smaller book with higher home values 3 years ago and still get calls from that book(SBC). now i am using yellow book . the main problem i see with them is that the sales rep will tell the book will be out in march and then it comes out in the end of april after everyone has already found someone else. so this next year my ad will turn better results i think .