Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 06-20-2007, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Starting issues... Again

Still having starting issues on my 20/52 Honda. Starting out this year I would occasionally get the CLICK or no noise at all when turning the key, usually only on hot starts. I went to mow today, turned the key three times, nothing. Then twice, two clicks. Then it fired right up. Stopped the mower to trim/blow, then went to start it again to put it away. I turned the key FIFTEEN times and got no click, noise, nothing. Then I turned the key one more time and it started right up. What is the deal? My dealer checked this last year with no results. Is this a known issue?
Mowing my little 3 acre corner of the world...
Old 06-21-2007, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is not a known issue.
Have you called your dealer again?
They need to look at this again, something is there that is intermittent that they are not seeing when they have it.

Pj
Old 06-21-2007, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like a starter solenoid, or possibly the starter relay. I would check the voltage across the solenoid first. There should be two posts, one is always hot, and the other should not be hot untill the key is turned to start position. Check across both sides for proper engagement when key is in run and start position...hope it helps..
Old 06-21-2007, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm not sure if it will help, but same thing happened to me on a 24/52 Mini Z. Click, click, click usually like you say "when it's hot"
I put another relay on the starter circut and have'nt had a problem since.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Try "sort of" gently wiggling the key in the ignition to find the sweet spot. Dust and cr@p gets in the key hole and can make it difficult to start. Im on my 2nd on in 2 years.
Try blowing it out with compressed air and put a little wd40 "ON THE KEY" and try again. (fluid films to wet and sticky)

If your having major trouble get yourself a new one. There dead easy to replace!
Old 06-22-2007, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Member

What would you replace first? I don't really feel like playing musical chairs with the local dealers here if I don't have to. Would you replace the relay, and if so how much are they? Does my machine have a solenoid or just a relay?
Old 06-24-2007, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranesrule View Post
What would you replace first? I don't really feel like playing musical chairs with the local dealers here if I don't have to. Would you replace the relay, and if so how much are they? Does my machine have a solenoid or just a relay?
Your unit has relays and a solenoid along with a whole bunch of connections and wiring.
Please e-mail me and I can get our regional service manager and your dealer working on this to get you taken care of.

Pj
Old 06-25-2007, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Here is what I tried today:

1)Removed and cleaned battery cables, both ends
2)Removed instrument panel and checked and cleaned all connections, including behind ignition switch
3)Blew out ignition switch with compressed air and cleaned key

Everything started fine after this. It also started fine when I pulled it out of the shed BEFORE I started working on it...

By the way, I could not find a solenoid on this machine anywhere. Where is it?
Old 06-25-2007, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Cranes,
I read on the forum that you blew it out etc and got it working. After posting I thought I may be out of my depth here and made a silly contribution but glad it seems not.

Seems that after a while the key becomes loose in the switch and changes the actual contact in the barrel (something like that anyway). That and with dirt dust etc basically screws things up. At this moment I occasionally get that click sound and no start, move the key to the "sweet spot" and it'll start right up.

Anyway, I got hold of a key just the other day that has a sort of cover for the key hole that stops water and dirt etc getting in so easy. Maybe you could look into getting one of those.
See how you go just cleaning the ignition switch out regularly and if problems persist, get a new switch!
Old 06-25-2007, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Mickhippy,

So far so good. The problem was intermittent so I'm not sure if it is fixed or not, but I certainly appreciate the suggestion. We'll see what happens; if it does it again I'll post back and keep trying.

Thanks again.