Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-17-2006, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Member

calender on page

I really like the calender I'm sure it will help with custmer ?????????? do you refer your customers to that page in any of your billing?
Old 09-17-2006, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Just a couple of notes from a "web" point of view:
I tried several searches for what people in your area might look for like "Saginaw Texas Lawn Care" and went 4 pages of results without finding your site. Actually several of your posts on THIS site showed up, but not your site (and as a customer I probably wouldn't find you by looking at one of your posts here).

Doing a direct search for your site found it but your old listing showed up above this one.
So first I would find:
Bowman, Donnie Owner - Team Bowman Lawn Care, 302 Lakeridge Rd ...
Bowman, Donnie Owner - Team Bowman Lawn Care, 302 Lakeridge Rd, Lakeside, TX, 682.552.3661. Get Ratings, Reviews, Photos and more on Yahoo! Local.
Then later I find:
Home
IF YOU WANT TO IMPROVE THE APPEARANCE OF YOUR HOME & LANDSCAPE, THEN YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE. Team Bowman Lawn Care and Landscaping began ...

This shows 2 things:
  1. For everyone: The importance as I posted everywhere of using a /disallow file for robots to hide your site so search engines don't find it until you are finished.
  2. Your page title (which a search engine shows first) is 'Home" telling me nothing about your company and hurting you in the search engines, at least the "old" one had Bowman, Donnie as the first of the listing, but wouldn't Bowman Lawn Care be better? At least you would have the term "lawn care" in there.
  3. The description in the second one (for the current site) is in all caps. It doesn't "read" as well as using proper upper & lowercase letters. In everything about a site you want it to be "easy" for the potential visitor.
Here are your only search phrases that even "make the cut" of above 0%:
team bowman (2) 1.37%
lawn and (2) 1.37%
bowman lawn (2) 1.37%
and landscape (2) 1.37%

How many customers will use those 2 word phrases to look for you? Even if they do such a low % means you would be WAY down in the listings.
Winter's coming, plenty of time to work on those things, but it's always harder to climb "up" the search engines than to get placed where you want the first time.

You have a nice "looking" site (except the grainy "equipment" picture on the home page, use a better quality pic) and the navigation is easy but you make the same mistake 99.9% of all types of contractors do in all their marketing (ads, web sites, brochures, whatever) of thinking like "you" instead of the customer.

Your home page continually refers to we have, we do, we can etc. As a customer there isn't one word about me...it's all about you.
Also you put kind-of a history about how you were founded first on the first page. I am Joe Customer. I am only going to look at this page for 7-8 seconds before I decide to stay or click away. If you have improved the stuff above and I do find you, the first thing I care about is what? Do you really think the most interesting thing that will catch my attention and make me want to read further is how your company came to be? Is that the #1 reason Bowman Lawn Care is the best for me?

Think about your customers...what do they want or need more than anything that would make them stay on your site? What is that thing for your particular market & type customer? What is the main reason the people who use you now chose you? That's a good starting place. What emotional desire underlies that reason?
Then tell me (good old Joe web surfer from your area) how you are going to meet that emotional need (all desire is based on emotion and you want them to desire your company's service) in your first sentence, reinforce it in the second, now you have used up your 8 seconds but if you caught my emotional reasons even subconsciously) of why I'm looking for a lawn care company in the first place and why you seem to be able to fill that desire...I'll stay, and look more.
I haven't dug through it; but look at the difference in SodKing's web site in another thread. Notice how the first thing he does is talk to me and tell me straight out if I want green grass call him!
Not a perfect site (I can't read his small link font on the left easily so a person with bad eyesight wouldn't be able to) but his opening lines are on the right track.

Note to everyone: I never talk about anybody's site personally here, so I am not being critical of Donnie. I try to use particular sites people post about as examples so everybody here can start evaluating and improving their own efforts and getting more success by looking at things from "Joe Customer's" point of view.
I may seem critical but other contractors patting each other on the back & saying "cool site" may make you feel better, but they will never spend a dime with you...it's Joe Customer you should care about.
Like in an above post, someone asks "Can I use your wording on your service details page?" Maybe you should have asked "what percentage of your site visitors visit that page...how long do they stay there? Then you would know if that page "works" before you decide to copy it because as the poster said "I like how you have it". You are a contractor...nobody (customers) cares how you like your site. If nobody is staying on that page over 20 seconds or only 2% of his site visitors go there it's not good marketing. That's another example of a contractor thinking like a contractor...not like "Joe Customer".
(Also to everybody: as far as the price; if that's per month that's very high, and I looked at yahoo a minute ago and they give a cheap domain name $1.99 but charge a $25 set up fee. Almost no hosts charge a set up fee these days and $15 a month would buy a package for a BIG web site, far more than any "service contractor" would ever use. Even their cheapest plan I saw @$11.95 is way too high and more than most contractors need...do you need 200 e-mail adresses?)

Last edited by WebMan; 09-17-2006 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Website

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks! I will work on the front page and post as soon as possible
Old 09-17-2006, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

how come you and webman show 1 and 0 posts. I know the both of you have made more than that?

TBLC thank you

6 Years on Lawnsite
Old 09-17-2006, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Member

This forum doesn't count in post totals...that's how the moderators explained it to me...
Old 09-17-2006, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebMan
This forum doesn't count in post totals...that's how the moderators explained it to me...
huh?? each time you make a post it counts.. at least mine it does.

Now you show 1.. But I knwo youve posted more than 1 time here.

6 Years on Lawnsite
Old 09-17-2006, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Member

It's just this particular forum, not all of them. If I knew about engine repair and posted there it would count
Old 09-17-2006, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

still alittle strange to me.

6 Years on Lawnsite
Old 09-17-2006, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Webman, Where in Texas do you live?
Old 09-21-2006, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice site, its easy to read and navigate.

Ive got to get to work on mine!

ANy suggestions??
NC Irrigation Contractors License #157
NC Licensed Plumbing Contractor #32636

Since 1994

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Koste...c/284215458045