Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-02-2000, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have some questions concerning when/how often to trim shrubs and hedges? Is it determined by the type of plant or the time of year or both/neither? I have a customer that is asking for some more info and it would be some extra $$$ <p>Thank you in advance for all of your help. The site would not be what it is if it wasn't for all of you regulars, Eric, Charles, Kirby, Lazer etc. You all are a great help to those of us that are less informed.<p>Rick
Old 08-02-2000, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

RICK, EVERYHTING YOU MENTIONED IS A FACTOR. JUST BE SURE OF WHAT YOU'RE DOING BEFORE YOU BUTCHER A PLANT AND PISS-OFF YOUR CUSTOMER.
Old 08-02-2000, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

It would take forever to go through every plant and give a description on how it should be trimmed and at what time. You might list the shrubs you are planning on trimming. One rule of thumb is to trim most flowering shrubs soon after they go out of bloom. Trim them at the wrong time and you may be cutting of next years flower.I found here in the south hollies can be trimmed most anytime. Crepe myrtles should be trimmed in Feb.
Old 08-02-2000, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Every one of my customers has a different idea about when they should be trimmed. The majority of my customers have two types: the yews and hemlocks, which I usually trim July/August, this way they dont have time to grow before the dormancy sets in, and the privets which generally need trimming around the 3 holidays Memorial day, July 4 and Labor day but this year its unusually wet so they are being trimmed more often, more like every 3 weeks.<p>I have one customer who insists I trim her hemlock hedge in June, then reluctantly requests it again in October. Wont listen.<p>Bill<p>PS also some idiots try to shape forsythia into a hedge then always ***** why theres no blossoms in the spring.
Old 08-02-2000, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Check out some books on pruning. Look up your zone of hardiness. Also check out pruning techiques. Example for trees your have opposite- and alternate leaved. Its good to know the shapes (round,upright,etc.)<br>Also its good to know if a plant flowering or not. You need to know what is new growth and what isn't. Good Luck and study up. Knowledge is key!!! Travis AG&G Lawn Maintenance
Old 08-03-2000, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you all for the info, much appreciated. One more and I will quit buggin'. Does anyone know of a site online that has pictures and names of the different types, family etc? Here in Utah there isn't much reference material on the subject and people in the biz are reluctant to talk. Too paranoid I guess. Thanks once again and keep cuttin'<p>Rick
Old 08-03-2000, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have a copy and it is expensive ($50 for the paperback edition), but the book to get is:<br>Manual of Woody Landscape Plants : Their Identification, Ornamental Characteristics, Culture, Propagation and Uses <br>by Michael A. Dirr <p>Here is a link to it on Amazon:<br>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0875637957<p>Dirr also has an Encyclopedia with pictures, which is more useful for identification.<p>(just type in Dirr in the search box at Amazon)
Old 08-03-2000, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Try the A-Z encyclopoedia of plants from the Amrican Horticultural Society. It has practically everything including sub genus'.