Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-14-2006, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone use a HERD brand seeder?

I've visited local dealers and no one carries a 12 volt utility vehicle/atv mounted seeder other than a flimsy looking JD model at Lowes.

Research on this site says Lesco but the nearest store is 1200 miles away. I can get an Earthway, Spyker or JRCO online but my local farm equipment dealer recommends the Herd GT REG or ATV. He says he's sold a few of them but he doesn't stock them and would have to order it. It's cheaper for him to order it for me than for me to do it direct and the price is quite a bit less than the ones I mentioned above but it appears to be the real deal and has the features I want like agitator, rheostat for variable throw, stainless steel internal parts and cable, and hopper lid although the hopper is galvanized not plastic as I'd prefer.

BTW, I just bought a Land Pride 3pt. aerator from this dealer and am thrilled with it - I wrote a review in reply to a thread a few days ago, if anyone's interested.

Thanks for any input on this seeder. Will M>
Old 09-15-2006, 06:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Herd is a quality spreader, buy the pto unit. fertilizer and anything electric dont play well together. Ask anyone around here (lawnsite)!
Old 09-15-2006, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn king
Herd is a quality spreader, buy the pto unit. fertilizer and anything electric dont play well together. Ask anyone around here (lawnsite)!
I had a 12v lesco unit that I used on my Lazer.....5 years with no problems before I sold it with the biz....Mounted it to a 1.25" trailer reciever and mounted a reciever to back of the lazer.

Id stay away from the rehostat. Part of the thing with centrifugal spreaders is to have a constant spinner speed and ground speed to keep your calibration and throw consistent.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

go to www.herdseeder.com I have a custom mounted spreader on front of one of our 325D Toro Groundsmasters from them (they used to go under the name of Thompson). They are in Logansport, Indiana, phone # is 574.753.6311
Old 09-15-2006, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rodfather, thanks for the reply. I have been to their website and it does look good on paper [or screen, I guess] but what I'm interested in is personal experiences so I'd appreciate it if you could tell me what you like and/or dislike about your Herd spreader as it sounds like the same one I'm considering. Thanks, Will M>
Old 09-15-2006, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ziffel
Rodfather, thanks for the reply. I have been to their website and it does look good on paper [or screen, I guess] but what I'm interested in is personal experiences so I'd appreciate it if you could tell me what you like and/or dislike about your Herd spreader as it sounds like the same one I'm considering. Thanks, Will M>
I have the M3B mounted on a 2" reciever type hitch that was custom fabricated on the front of one of our Toro 325D's... I love it with the actuator so I can slow down the amount of fert in smaller areas. I have had it like 8 years or so.

I can tell ya this. The 12v spinner motor does not hold up for long. It is like 79 bucks and change and I get a new one each year...then again I use it to do like 12 pallets of fert each year...hope that helps ya.

rod
Old 09-16-2006, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Rod, that's the kind of info I'm looking for. Will M>
Old 09-16-2006, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ziffel
Thanks Rod, that's the kind of info I'm looking for. Will M>
glad that I could help