Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-14-2006, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Aggregate Sealer Installation

Here in Middle Tennessee, we have alot of exposed aggregate. My neighbor saw me sealing my aggregate the other day and noticed how good it looked when I finished. She offered me the opportunity to seal her aggregate driveway, sidewalk, and porches. My cost on commercial grade aggregate sealer is $50.00 per 5 gallon bucket. It took me 1 1/2 hours to apply my 10 gallons to my property with 1" nap roller and 4 ft. handle - EASY work IMO. My question is this - how do I charge concerning labor? By the sq. foot or by the hour? Any suggestions?
Old 09-16-2006, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For simple in 'n out jobs, I have a formula to go by the sq ft. But most of the time I am time and material.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepoutside
For simple in 'n out jobs, I have a formula to go by the sq ft. But most of the time I am time and material.
It is a simple job IMO. What would you charge per sq. ft.?
Old 09-17-2006, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What I charge, can't compare to your charge, as I have no ideal the overhead you have. You must have a ideal the $ per hour charge for the rest of your business. You said it took you 1.5 hours, so figure out how many sq. ft you did in that time, and you can figure out how many sq. ft per hour you can do, and then it's just to the rate that your business charges. You can spread, by your figures, $ 66.00 per hour, of material, plus your labor charge. Hope this helps!
Old 09-17-2006, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Wow.

Industrial grade sealcoat shouldn't cost more than 2 bucks a gallon, maybe 2.50 if you're way out in the sticks.

As far as in store, 50 dollars is crazy. The highest I have seen it is 25 dollars.

Before I respond let me first note, if you do this again, you can order industrial sealer to your door cheaper than that. 5 gallons for probably 10 dollars. Check sealmaster.net and asphaltstore.com

Generally you'd charge by the square foot. But this is a single, one time job. I would charge an hourly rate personally if I did not work in this business. Whatever you are satisfied with for the work you put in, that is waht I would charge. To get an idea of how much a professional would charge, if you're out in a rural area, probably 17-25 cents a square foot, add that up and subtract all the materials (pants, shirt, shoes maybe, buckets of sealer and tool for spreading) and you get the profit. If it is too low, go with hourly, if it is too high go with hourly, but you can at least sort of get an idea of a fair price using that method.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Member

^^ Note, I am under the impression that this is a guy just sealing his driveway and wants to charge his neighbor a fair price bc they wanted it done too.

If you are a sealcoating business you can pretty much disregard what I said above.

But if you are a homeowner, after rereading this, I would say 50 bucks for labor for 1.5 hours should be fine, little less if you're a good neighbor, little more if you need the money.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSeal
Wow.

Industrial grade sealcoat shouldn't cost more than 2 bucks a gallon, maybe 2.50 if you're way out in the sticks.

As far as in store, 50 dollars is crazy. The highest I have seen it is 25 dollars.

Before I respond let me first note, if you do this again, you can order industrial sealer to your door cheaper than that. 5 gallons for probably 10 dollars. Check sealmaster.net and asphaltstore.com

Generally you'd charge by the square foot. But this is a single, one time job. I would charge an hourly rate personally if I did not work in this business. Whatever you are satisfied with for the work you put in, that is waht I would charge. To get an idea of how much a professional would charge, if you're out in a rural area, probably 17-25 cents a square foot, add that up and subtract all the materials (pants, shirt, shoes maybe, buckets of sealer and tool for spreading) and you get the profit. If it is too low, go with hourly, if it is too high go with hourly, but you can at least sort of get an idea of a fair price using that method.
The sealer that I have bought for my personal use over the years comes from a concrete/aggregate manufacturing plant here locally. The label reads "Aggreseal Supreme". I checked the box stores and the product they sell costs more for less quality. I thought $50.00 is a reasonable price. Anyway, I will probably charge by the hour ($40.00 or $50.00).
Old 09-18-2006, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here are some prices, your is in the ball park

RPC 675 Cleaner/Degreaser- 55 Gal. drum $199.00 + freight
RPC 2000 Concrete Cleaner - 55 Gal. drum $225.00 + freight
AGGRESEAL Supreme Aggregate sealer (30% solids) $54.95 per 5 Gal. pail + freight
2000 Supreme ( 25% solids) sealer for white & slab concrete $49.95 per 5 Gal. pail + freight

These are US prices, not my Canadian ones, lol
Old 09-18-2006, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I sealed my first driveway for $60 before i started my own business (they purchased the materials). If you are just doing a favor to a friend, give her a $ you are comforatable with. But you are paying way too much for your sealer. Even the home depot stuff is usually no more than $20

If you are doing it as a business, you need to add up all your expenses then figure out how many you have to do at what price in order to break even or make a profit.

and stay away from the square plastic spray systems
Old 09-19-2006, 04:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SealAndCoat
I sealed my first driveway for $60 before i started my own business (they purchased the materials). If you are just doing a favor to a friend, give her a $ you are comforatable with. But you are paying way too much for your sealer. Even the home depot stuff is usually no more than $20

If you are doing it as a business, you need to add up all your expenses then figure out how many you have to do at what price in order to break even or make a profit.

and stay away from the square plastic spray systems
First, I am NOT doing this as a business. It is just an opportunity for me to make a little money and for these folks to save a little.

Second, a couple of you say I am paying too much for the sealer. Are we talking about the same product? The sealer I have purchased for my own use is the "brown colored" sealer for exposed aggregate(pea gravel) - $50.00 for FIVE gallons !!!!