Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-04-2001, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Help with Toro 36" WB set up

Thanks to all who commented on my earlier post regarding T-bars vs pistol grips. Finally went with the Toro fixed deck and added a mulching kit, which needed to be orderedht.

Spent a few hours trying to find the right combination on the height set-up. If anyone is familiar with the fixed deck system I could sure use some pointers. The dealer was real helpful, up to a point. I had the mower set at 3". According to the chart in the manual the deck was set as follows:

axle- D position ( second from the bottom)
spacers below the caster- all 4 of the 1/2 inchers, 0 of the 3/16
1/4" spacers below the spindle- all 4

Anyway, I thought this " 3 inch " setting was too short so I moved all the spindle spacers "above the spindle" which should give me a 4" cut. This looked pretty good, but 3 and a half should be just right.

With the different axle-caster-spindle adjustments, what should I be trying to do in order to get the best cut and best possible striping effect? Do I want the rear a little higher than the front? Keep the blades as high in the deck as possible and adjust height with the casters and axle so that you get the best possible vacuum effect as you cut?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-25-2001, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Thought I would "close out" this thread with my own findings.

Its been about a month and numerous cuts with the 36" Toro. Got some good advice from EricElm here on the board. Also called Toro technical service for advice on set-up and striping.

Anyway, this baby cuts like a dream! Adjusted the blades to have only one spacer under the spindle and 2 spacers under the front casters. Built a hang-on chain striping gizmo (like Erics) for the rear. All this gives me a cut at about 3 1/2 inches withthe front of the deck 1/4" lower than the back edge. Stripes great! Don't have a digital camera, but may have to borrow one. Even the wife thinks the striping really looks nice and very "professional". "I like the ballpark look" were her words...

Remember, I'm a homeowner with about a 1.2 acres to cut on a 1.5 acre lot...

Thanks to all for the advice!